• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hard red vs CPS

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hard red vs CPS

I'm a firm believer in Hard Red as being second crop of choice behind canola. How does CPS work for everyonelse? Do you feel it to be a better crop or worse? I've never tried it and am looking for info from people who have, thanks.

Advantages to CPS: 1) dual market - board or non board. 2) Easy to harvest - straight cut. 3) Can yield 20% higher than HRS under ideal conditions. 4) Grades easier than HRS.

Disadvantages: 1) Not as competitive in the field. 2) Yields can be the same or less if dry or weed pressures. 3) Requires a higher seeding rate.

On our farm we try to diversify crop wise and always grow a little of both. This year CPS will be my highest grossing crop with decent yields, SPE insurance, PPO's off Kansas wheat and early nonboard pricing.

Comment

I agree with crusher on the positives and negatives. We have grown CPS and HRSW in our rotaion until two years ago. As crusher pointed out drought conditions are very hard on CPS so we have not grown it for a while and do not plan to seed CPS this year. On average years it will yield 20% higher. But keep in mind feed grains may be in the tank for a while.

Comment

Your're rite on about the drought on cps. For that reason alone I quit cps 2-3 years ago because hrs may yield a little lower but youstill have the option of throwing it in the feed market. I've got back into some feed wheat by seeding winter reds instead.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...