• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

more fun with lentils

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more fun with lentils

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160806_165226.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	777273

Now the ones that aren't rotting are sprouting

Thats sad.

Comment

I hope those only came from the sprayer trails where they we're pushed against the ground! !!

Otherwise, I honestly just shock my head in disbelief. What next.

Comment

Are those your intercropped orgimmick lentils, or regular lentils?

Comment

Conventional, nowhere near a sprayer track. A lot of them didn't even have any color yet.

These are the organic ones. (sorry just the stem)Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160806_154329.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	765013

Comment

How much rain did you have last week? I've seen lentils sprout in the pod some very wet years - they are likely feed lentils.

Comment

Too much RAIN ...TAKES grain! Oh crap!

Comment

Sumdumguy.....I think we live kinda close to each other. East of Regina there are some fields that look bad from the road. Dead spots that podded but died before they could fill and whole fields that are a fairly good mix of my previous description and some half assed healthy stuff. Nonetheless. ....there is going to be some long faces when the combines hit the fields. I would think reds would be a bit more forgiving than any greens when it comes to damage. Whole market versus splits.....reds versus greens. I think this could turn into a graders, buyers and sellers nightmare. The only good thing about this shitty looking lentil crop is I never planted any. But surely there.has to be the odd pocket where they'll be half decent. The areas that tradionally grew lentils but had a never ending monsoon and non traditional areas that probably shouldn't be planting them may be in trouble.

This is a big deal because there was such a huge increase in seeded lentil acres.

Anyone who will have good ones in the bin after harvest, gaurd your "gold"!

Comment

No noticeable visual difference btw crop sprayed twice with fungi vs. nothing. All ugly with disease, strange enough a grassy slough that we burned off and seeded looks decent. Disease lives in the soil foliars are a bandaid.

That sucks Ado maybe u can roast em sell em as a sprouted lentil snack.
                  Last edited by biglentil; Aug 6, 2016, 21:46.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                    ...gaurd your "gold"!
                    I don't know if even the good ones (if there will be such a thing) are going to be in high demand anyways. It sounds like the Indian monsoon season is above normal this year which usually drives up pulse yields over there. And somewhere I read a prediction of 19 million acres are expected to be planted this year. That kind of puts our 5 million acres of Lentils into perspective.

Comment

1.6" in three weeks that started with 90 seconds of pea sized hail. Any pod touching the ground is diseased, rotten or sprouting. Big bushy lentils are a curse. I have some dirty wild oat patches and they even pulled them down. I might seed some lentils with my organic rig next year(10" with sweeps) . The broadcast lentils don't seem to fall over like 1"x12".

Comment

We drove west of Moose jaw tonight. The reds are hurt bad but a field of Lairds we checked were half brown and shelling while lots were green and still filling. But one thing for sure, the seeds were 20% marked with disease and the crop is all laying down in pure mud. Trying to straight cut will be a challenge unless it drys out by some miracle. And almost all the fields look like ours - big time weedy, thistle all through the field. Yikes, it looks like the first fields of lentils in our area (1968 or so) when we didn't even have Sencor. Gonna be interesting. Farmaholic, I think you should have planted 1000 acres or so, just so you could gripe with us. 😝

Comment

The upside of 5.8 million acres of lentils is that it reduced unnecessary production of surplus wheat and canola that would have resulted in $4 wheat and $7 canola. Given that SF3 and others are all switching to wheat/canola for next year that is what to look forward to for 17. The other factor is that there likely was not a market for 5.8 million so crop insurance at not bad levels for a lot of the lentils was likely as good a result as was going to happen anyways. Hopefully everyone bought max crop insurance.

Comment

I wounder if anyone will get a dime out of GARS ?? There had better be some payouts for guys with GARS in lentil country

Comment

The satellite looks dangerous - hope the Regina Block saves us!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...