• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other Crops than Lentils

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Crops than Lentils

What is everyone seeing in terms of other crops prospects? Pardon my french, but I dont give a F*** about the lentil crop as I have no skin in that game. I want to know what the cereals and oilseeds are doing. Prices are the shits and who wants to sell an move product at the current levels. I know lentils took a big portion of acres but kinda getting tired of hearing about "my" poor lentils when everyone was just chasing that market this year.

Wht. and canola still looking good in southern mb. imo, although there is a lot of disease in the canola i still think it will do pretty good. Never know for sure till the combine gets rolling.

Comment

We are two weeks away from swathing and 10 days from desicating wheat and 10 on barley with three day window to harvest!

Canola has issues and like you say don't know till combines hit! But it's no where as big as last years crop! Seeding a week later cost us with all the heavy rain this year a week early plants would of took it better!

Wheat is thicker than last year but major major disease is showing up. You can see if you missed spraying and I am no fan of spraying a product that might bandaid it. We sprayed but still some present! White heads and banks! It will be a average now!

Barley is thickest I have seen in years but it is showing issues and lodging almost going to call it feed if we keep getting rain.

Oh it rained this morning again!

Comment

Lots of disease in the wheat and asters in the canola.

And it's a month till general harvest is underway.... Lots can change between now and then.

Crops took a big turn for the worse in the last couple weeks.

Be a lot less to store than it looked like there'd be a few weeks ago.

Comment

I've never seen canola as diseased as it is this year. Losses will be huge. The more mature the canola becomes the more disease shows up.

Wheat is this area ranges from ok to a total disease wreck. There is one neighbour with all Harvest variety. He has a hard time finding a head without fus on it. Wheat yields though will be high.

We have barley and it looks decent.

The one field of flax in the area is tall and lodged. Looks like the seeding rate may have been too high.

Peas here are anywhere from a drowned out weed mass to one farmers good fields. Most will be average to below.

Overall, too much water. Weeds have come up. Disease is rampant. Canola crushers will scramble for supplies.

Comment

Moisture and heat arrived together. Crops put on an unbelievable growth spurt and now they are falling over. Actually I think a lot of canola is now short of N.
            Any crops left outside past their prime will be the worse for it.

Comment

Drew...There is better news for late August and September harvesting. We do
              believe that La Nina will begin having a greater influence on North America
              in September and October and that should help bring drier air into the
              Prairies. Unfortunately the drier air will also be cool suggesting that frost
              and freeze threats in August will not be very high, but they will increase
              in September as the air dries out.

Comment

Only durum, canola and a little barley and peas in my immediate area. (But probably true for all of SW Sask from Assiniboia west and north up to Elrose.) Cereals have amazing yield potential, but quality is going to be the kicker. I'd hope for a 3 on the durum and we sprayed most of ours. Peas, lots have root rot spread in small spots or almost whole quarters. Canola is really nice, but seems to have a lot of stalk and not as many pods.

We won't know until the combines get into it. Every day it seems to be getting slowly chipped away.

Comment

I forgot to mention soybeans. They seem to have handled the excess rain better than a lot of crops. We have Watsons, that look pretty good, and Restons, which have been doused with a shitload of rain, but, aren't too bad. It almost seems that the more beans get stressed (to a point), the better they are.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...