• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aster yellow in canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aster yellow in canola

In our area people are all excited about potential canola yields... I'm afraid some might be in for a bad surprise.

Looking close this morning and there's a pile of that junk showing up again (aster yellow).
    In 2012 we had 50 bushel swaths yield in the teens from that crap. I'm hoping it's not as bad this year but getting a bit concerned by what I'm seeing here.

What are others seeing now in canola nearly done flowering?

If you can see it ..... it's losing yield....

Comment

Is there anything you can do for that. Those SE winds bring the moth?

Comment

We're seeing TONS of schlerotina. It's even in fields that were sprayed and it doesn't matter what it was sprayed with. There is a huge area east of us where the canola ranges from flat on the ground, drowned, awash in rivers running through fields, to hailed black. Average canola yields are going down as fast as the price.

Comment

Just in from checking early seeded canola, no sign of aster yellows.
          Bottom two or three leaves turning yellow but do not see any sclerotinia on stems.
          Still the threat of hail or August frost but not sorry so far to have locked in price.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
            Is there anything you can do for that. Those SE winds bring the moth?
            as far as I know nothing can be done about it.

The later the canola seeded the worse it'll be from our experience in 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
              We're seeing TONS of schlerotina. It's even in fields that were sprayed and it doesn't matter what it was sprayed with. There is a huge area east of us where the canola ranges from flat on the ground, drowned, awash in rivers running through fields, to hailed black. Average canola yields are going down as fast as the price.
              Haven't seen any schlerotina here yet but most canola is still flowering.
              But there is lots and more all the time that's lodged bad and still flowering. Almost a sure thing those areas will have almost nothing in them.
              Honestly trying to stay positive but think it's time the canola buyers realize this is no 2013 crop coming here. Average at best on our farm and it looked well above average for most of the year till just lately.

Comment

In 2012 same here, 50 bu swaths went 20 bu, but field that was reseeded due to downed out went 40 bu. I guess it depends when the leafhoppers arive.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...