• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Staghead reappears,

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staghead reappears,

Now that some of the canola is starting to wind down, aster yellows are starting to stand out. Certainly more plants damaged than the last couple years, at this point, I wouldn't say it's anywhere as bad as a few years ago.( was it 2012 ? ) We'll have to keep watching to see if more shows up in the later planted, as it's hard to identify when the crop is in full bloom. Seems to me that last time it was so bad there was more damage in the LL types than the RR types.

What would make the LL types of canola more attractive to the leaf hoppers or more susceptible to aster yellows than the RR canola types?

Comment

not sure farma, that seemed to be the pattern in our area, that last time it was so bad.

Comment

We even had it in our flax that last bad outbreak.

Comment

Our neighbour has a field of Pioneer Clearfield canola that is loaded. Not seeing it elsewhere yet. His field was seeded a little later but not overly.

Comment

Same with Bertha worms, LL was way more infested, eaten and more required spraying. Never did our RR.

Comment

One PhD we consult with says that different canola varieties have different sugar profiles in the plants. Certain sugar profiles attract the bugs more than others. Sorta like me and anything caramel.

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
                One PhD we consult with says that different canola varieties have different sugar profiles in the plants. Certain sugar profiles attract the bugs more than others. Sorta like me and anything caramel.
                Are those different traits and risks listed or warnings when you buy seed?

Comment

And it isn't Sclerotina like all the reps said about 2012. Spray spray spray. It was leaf hoppers and aster yellows that took that crop.

Comment

Not here SF3. Ours was decimated by schlerotinia and had very little aster yellow compared to some peoples. We had a bit but it wasn't what hurt our crop.

Comment

Schlerotina is rampant in MB this year. There will be huge losses. Canola yields will be way down.

Comment

Pea crops are yellowing here. Can't imagine full pods.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...
                        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.