• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moldy Lentils

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moldy Lentils

Is mold starting to chew up your lentils. I have a little, others have it so severe fields are staring to turn brown. I said before we were one rain away from a disaster and it could be here. A lot of lentils aren't hardly flowering or podding now this. Hope this opens the eyes of some and they realize this won't be a bin buster. Farmers know what's going on!! This flipiin imagery BS is exactly that!! Get out drive and have a look at what is exactly happening, cuz it isn't pretty.

sure isn't pretty here , 6 feet water sure pisses up crops . I've saw some canola fields that are 100 % gone here . peas are finished . leafcutter alfalfa fields smell like a rotten silage pit . she's about as ugly as it can get here . went from best crops we had ever grown to hoping for a hailstorm in 2 days

Comment

Last year would have been the year to grow lentils on this farm, HOT AND DRY! Too soggy this year. But it doesn't matter because I never planted any anyway. Not that I had the foresight of a wet year....just that it appeared too many were going to be planted and felt they would be overproduced. Now good quality seems it could be elusive. Quality overage will likely demand a premium. Probably going to be lots of shit to pick from. Can you imagine the damage from the moldy pods, sun bleaching and possible wet weather on them when they are ready to harvest. There could be a lot of long faced new growers when they have their grain graded.

Also, the imagery is only a tool....the boots on the ground will confirm the crops status. NDVI, satellite imagery, drive by assessments(some shit is obvious at 100 km/h), boots on the ground, add another tool....accumulated precipitation maps, and I'm sure the 'Industry" has a pretty good handle on what's going on out there.

This year will require a lot of luck, although I bet some Growers are already out of it....

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
        Last year would have been the year to grow lentils on this farm, HOT AND DRY! Too soggy this year. But it doesn't matter because I never planted any anyway. Not that I had the foresight of a wet year....just that it appeared too many were going to be planted and felt they would be overproduced. Now good quality seems it could be elusive. Quality overage will likely demand a premium. Probably going to be lots of shit to pick from. Can you imagine the damage from the moldy pods, sun bleaching and possible wet weather on them when they are ready to harvest. There could be a lot of long faced new growers when they have their grain graded.

Also, the imagery is only a tool....the boots on the ground will confirm the crops status. NDVI, satellite imagery, drive by assessments(some shit is obvious at 100 km/h), boots on the ground, add another tool....accumulated precipitation maps, and I'm sure the 'Industry" has a pretty good handle on what's going on out there.

This year will require a lot of luck, although I bet some Growers are already out of it....
        How many elevators are giving staff extensive training on problems that maybe seen this year? How many farmers are up on issues in grading room?

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
          Is mold starting to chew up your lentils. I have a little, others have it so severe fields are staring to turn brown. I said before we were one rain away from a disaster and it could be here. A lot of lentils aren't hardly flowering or podding now this. Hope this opens the eyes of some and they realize this won't be a bin buster. Farmers know what's going on!! This flipiin imagery BS is exactly that!! Get out drive and have a look at what is exactly happening, cuz it isn't pretty.
          What part of the world is that bigzee?

Comment

I noticed some root rot in a soybean field that was getting more rain. Tomorrow I was to start swathing my tall fescue. Fall rye is not far behind, so I am really hoping for some dry weather to show up.
            A neighbour started swathing his perennial ryegrass yesterday.

Comment

ADO89 I'm in south central sk.

Comment

Same crappy crop in the SW. Big moldy and dying stands of lentils. Look remarkably good until you dig into the lush canopy and then reality hits.

Comment

We have a quarter that's rotting, good thing there was CL canola on it a few years ago. It should run 30.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...