• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeding equipment costs

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeding equipment costs

I have been paying $3500 to seed my 320 acres for the last 2 years. This winter I bought a JD 9350 20'hoe drill for $4000. That works out to $200/foot or $12.50/acre. A new air seeder would cost $200,000 for likely 53' or $3770/foot. To get to $12.50 acre I would need to seed 16,000 acres. The is still room for the guy starting with nothing to get into farming.

Your actual cost is closer to $3.75 per acre for the drill you just purchased. The cost to you in Year 1 is 320 acres divided by the lost value in your machine. I took 30% of $4,000 (which is likely very high) for depreciation = $1,200 / 320 acres = $3.75 per acre. You have remember that if you retired farming after year one you could likely sell those drills for $3,000 to $4,000. Therefore your cost per acres was only the lost value in your machine. $12.50 is your investment per acres in seeding equipment. You measure a return on your investment when you look at the $12.50 you speak of. Anyways, that is my humble opinion.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...
    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.