• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pics - Lobsinger Bros Threshing Machine The Lion logo panel.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pics - Lobsinger Bros Threshing Machine The Lion logo panel.

I think it is important to celebrate some of our agriculture history, farmers have endured a lot of challenges over the years, it makes me proud to be a small part of this legacy. Next week at Ag In Motion I get the chance to see all of the new machinery...it is humbling to see how far we have advanced.

What other old threshing machine brands have people come across?

A friend of mine had this logo panel from a Lobsinger Bros Threshing Machine displayed in his office.
    I did a little research and found the company manufactured the machines from the late 1930's until the 1950's.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LobsingerLionThresher.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	777243

Lion logo

Panel from threshing machine

Comment

Lobsinger Lion Threshing Machine
      Originally posted by joedales View Post
      Panel from threshing machine

Name:	lobsingerlion2.jpg
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	764969

Comment

Closeup to see the wording.

Comment

We ran a Favorite, built in Mount Forest I guess, which was later bought out by the Lobsinger Brothers.

Ours looked like the one pictured above but had steel wheels. It was a real bugger to back up the barn bank into the barn and set up for threshing every summer, a job that was repeated at each farm where we threshed.

I do not miss those days at all, especially so since, as the youngest child and smallest worker, it was my job to push the grain into the corners of the old wooden granary. Go in clean and come out black.

Story of their production in this link:

[URL="http://www.thepost.on.ca/2012/11/14/mildmay-thresher-dates-back-to-19th-century"]http://www.thepost.on.ca/2012/11/14/mildmay-thresher-dates-back-to-19th-century[/URL]

Below is a pic from the steam threshers reunion, an annual event held on a farm on Hwy 86 between Listowel and Kitchener, Ontario.

Thanks for posting this thread Joe! Brings back memories of a simpler time although the work was sometimes dirty and hard.

Name:	101 112.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	764970

Comment

The Lobsinger Brothers sold the business in 1967 to John E. Schmidt, a long-time employee. The last Lion thresher was sold from the factory in 1970, but the business stayed open for repairs and parts until 1985.

Name:	1297339120230_ORIGINAL.jpg
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	764971

Comment

Are you serious? Last one sold in 1970 and some people still needed service and parts til 85. Hard to believe. ....were they that widely used that late or was it the collectors who bought and still used them?

Comment

Must have been for collectors in the 70s and 80s...this was a very labour intensive way to harvest. When did the first combines start to be introduced?

My Dad described the Threshing season to me when I was young...a lot like this video below. A very social aspect to farming when everyone ran 100 acres.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                  Are you serious? Last one sold in 1970 and some people still needed service and parts til 85. Hard to believe. ....were they that widely used that late or was it the collectors who bought and still used them?
                  The Old Order Mennonites and Amish still use threshers here in Ontario. It's very common to see acres of grain stooked in the late summer, rows and rows of sheaves lined up in perfect patterns.

I think the last time we used ours would have been in the mid 70's. Then it sat in the implement shed for a few more years until it become obvious that it was just taking up space so I trailed it about 25 miles down the road to a place that took them for parts and scrap. It was kind of a sad day in a way.

We had taken the sheaf feeder off of ours and replaced it with a square receiving box directly over the cylinder. The reason for this was because we swathed our grain and picked it up with the forage harvester and unloaded the forage wagons onto a bale elevator with side extensions which dumped it into the box on the threshing machine.

Although our method took the back-breaking work out of it by eliminating the stooking and loading sheaves like my Dad and older brothers did it, it still had to be the dirtiest job on the farm.

Comment

We last used our threshing mill in 1976, I remember helping as a kid. My older brother helped run the binder the last few times but I never did. Our mills there were different to the north American ones with bodies made largely of wood rather than tin. I think they would be very old machines when we were using them. First job I got when leaving school was scrapping the mill - wood for the fire and scrap metal for the pile. It was well put together I remember that.Looked something like this.

Name:	Threshing.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	764972

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...
                    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.