• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crop pics

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crop pics

Yup too much rain is so much worse then drought

Comment

Originally posted by vvalk View Post
      Yup too much rain is so much worse then drought
      I can show you pictures of vast areas of drowned mudholes if you want. Water sitting on 20% of fields. Sick and dying canola on the best landscapes. Running creeks. An hour east of Klause. Everyone's idea of too wet differs, as do ideas of to dry. And then they come here and see the light! lol

Looks good Klause! Trying to not be jealous.

Comment

Too thick Klause! Lol looking good man. Heres hoping the white combine stays away.

Comment

Yeah freewheat, going to need pics on what too wet actually looks like apparently. Starting to be a fair bit of drowned peas around the water holes south and east of Edmonton. Even seen wheat turning yellow because of standing in water. Too wet really is worse than too dry. If you can get stuck machinery in the pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
            If you can get stuck machinery in the pictures.
            lol, do combine pics this spring count?

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
              Too wet really is worse than too dry.
              Nonsense. It is so easy to do stuff while it is pouring rain, when the soil is saturated, compared to when it is too dry and you can go anywhere, do anything you want. And the poor roads when it is too dry?!!?? They get so pounded to a pulp and oh so damaged. Culvert replacement is so hard, access to fields impossible when roads are beaten and wrecked from being too dry! And the rear axle on the combine when it is dry gets such a work out from pulling on it all the time! Also, it is so hard to haul grain when it is too dry from those field binyards. Getting stuck and all. And don't even start with the erosion in the draws that need repair when it is too dry. Every time it doesn't rain, more soil is lost, and then you gotta go repair them and hope you finally get to seed something in them.

Yup, too wet is so much nicer than too dry.

Comment

Yep, its a breez seeding into dust. Just too many arguments as to how deep to seed.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                  Yep, its a breez seeding into dust. Just too many arguments as to how deep to seed.
                  Yup getting 10 bus per acre is way better then having 30% of your land ( which in general would be an extreme case) flooded out but have a beyond bumper on 70% is worse. So what some equipment gets stuck when your pulling on average over all the acres 50-60bus peas 50+ bus canola and 80+ bus barley. Don't whine because it takes some work you are getting great yields. Just like the whining by sask3 about too wet and then you hear the yields. I'm starting to think most in hear really don't understand drought when your canola is in full bloom and you can see dirt across the entire field. I don't tell me about useless crop insurance

Comment

Nice crops Klause. They're coming along nicely.

Every so often I put up this gps map of a half that was missing about 80 acres in 2010.
                    It didn't get seeded that year and hasn't improved much in 6 years.
                    It's still missing 60 or 70.

I would take this mess over a 6 year drought, but a one year drought not even close.
                    Bring on the drought. Oh and in 2010 we harvested 30 or 35 bu/acre of diseased lightweight barley.
                    Rain doesn't always make grain.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	2010.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	764964

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                      Nice crops Klause. They're coming along nicely.

Every so often I put up this gps map of a half that was missing about 80 acres in 2010.
                      It didn't get seeded that year and hasn't improved much in 6 years.
                      It's still missing 60 or 70.

I would take this mess over a 6 year drought, but a one year drought not even close.
                      Bring on the drought. Oh and in 2010 we harvested 30 or 35 bu/acre of diseased lightweight barley.
                      Rain doesn't always make grain.
                      [ATTACH]403[/ATTACH]
                      Looks like a strain to super bug

Comment

Originally posted by vvalk View Post
                        Yup getting 10 bus per acre is way better then having 30% of your land ( which in general would be an extreme case) flooded out but have a beyond bumper on 70% is worse. So what some equipment gets stuck when your pulling on average over all the acres 50-60bus peas 50+ bus canola and 80+ bus barley. Don't whine because it takes some work you are getting great yields. Just like the whining by sask3 about too wet and then you hear the yields. I'm starting to think most in hear really don't understand drought when your canola is in full bloom and you can see dirt across the entire field. I don't tell me about useless crop insurance
                        Full bloom canola you can see through because of dry, is better than the equivalent crop due to too wet that you still have ti fight to harvest. Worse, is when you can not seed a single acre due to too wet. Never seeded an acre twice in 3 years. That is kinda tough to recover from.

Look, neither of us obviously has lived the others extremes. But too much rain sucks far more than not enough, lets face it.

Comment

I've lived both extremes. 48" in 2010, followed by two more years with over 24". Then two years ago I was down to 6" and last year was under 1/2" from April to august. Too wet is dirty, hard and frustrating but you can mange things to maintain a decent yield over all. Drought is just soul destroying, there's absolutely nothing you can do to make it better.

Comment

X2 Ado. Well said.

Comment

Soil recovers from DRY after a rain/rains, but FLOODED, saline muck needs years of low rainfall to ever produce again.
                              Got to be the ideal location somewhere without extremes? Who has it??

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...