• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Premises I'd Book???

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premises I'd Book???

Pretty quiet on here. People must be busy doing rain dances or something. Sounds like we might get some moisture. Fingers crossed.

Anyway I want to pose some questions to the cattle community regarding the use fullness of the PID program.
    1. Is there going to be a PID Book similar to a brand book with the premise operator's name and location?
    2. If not how do shippers find the appropriate PID to send with a shipment?
    3. Considering that the agricultural area of western Canada is completely surveyed very accurately and that land locations are identified in maps, should not legal land locations be the primary way to find a cattle operation?
    4. If the PID identifier is more important than the legal land description then what is the real purpose of the PID program?

Just trying to stimulate some discussion on this subject among cattle people. We know the bureaucrats are working on it..

LET IT RAIN!!!!

I was under the impression that the premise id was for in the event of a disease outbreak. My opinion is that it should be a confidential number, since it's attached to personal business information.

Just sayin'

Comment

Our PID # in Alberta is attached to our land location. I was surprised last week when I picked up a bottle of Dettol and the UFA asked for my PID, since it has a DIN (Drug Identification #). The vet has not asked yet. I am sure it is a number I will have to learn as there is a spot for it on the livestock manifest.
      I am not sure why we can't use the CLTS premise ID, but our history in AB is to continually reinvent the wheel...

Comment

Is there any indication that the PID number is going to find increasing use in the identification of cattle movements? At present the PID number line sits unused on the AB livestock manifest when you ship cattle to auction, I've never filled mine in - or been asked to.

I was in UFA recently and when paying for my purchases was asked for my PID number with the comment that they would only ask for it once - presumably to associate it with my UFA account number. I was buying some packs of electrolyte so assume that is what triggered the request not the water pipe fittings I picked up at the same time.

Comment

"Big Brother" wants to know WHAT you bought and WHERE you bought it as they want to "track" your purchases of livestock and anything connected to their health, sale, disease treatment and movement to and from pasture.

It's just Alberta's version of the KGB...don't worry about it.

Its a wonder they don't have drones looking over the countryside looking for infractions of their PID regulations.

All of this is for potential tracing of diseased animals...so they say, so its good but it does infringe on our "Free Enterprise" philosophy we were brought up with.

Comment

By the response to this thread I must be beating a dead horse. If that is true, fine. But what if it isn't???

At the risk of further wasted effort I will comment on one of the replies.

Kato your belief that a confidential PID would be usefull in a disease outbreak surprises me. Who are the parties qualified to access PID information? What checks are there to insure that the PIDs on shipping documents are correct? The original gist of my post was to suggest that if we are to use a PID system that it has to be open and public. If you have a registered brand in my part of the world it is identified along with your name and address in the brand book. I don't see how any traceability system can work in a cloak of secrecy.

Comment

I was just saying what we were told in Manitoba when they brought this thing in. It never really made sense to me at the time, and still doesn't. So far it seems like it's just being used as a glorified account nimber in the clia system.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.