• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef labels – provincial vs. national

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef labels – provincial vs. national

do you think that provicial beef labels (i.e. Ontario Corn Fed Beef) are counterproductive to promoting the Canadian beef brand? should we be working together as an industry instead of being fragmented?? Or do you think there is some value to �local� labels.

I'm not sure of the situation down east, but here in western Canada, mostly all the beef is processed in Alberta. Unless it's done by a local abbatoir, it would be pretty difficult to even have a Manitoba label. I think I would like my checkoff money to go toward promoting Canadian beef.

Comment

The Canadian beef label can/should be used as an overarching brand attribute (eg: Verified Beef Production), but I don't believe in branding all Canadian beef as "Canadian". It does not create price differentiation or market segmentation and it is relatively easy to replicate these attributes. For example, to feed a calf barley to finish is not that hard to do elsewhere in the world. Marketing beef into specific, profitable niches using hard to replicate attributes such as production area, technique, producer certification is a lot more profitable than putting all the beef into one container with a Canada flag on the door. Even on this forum there are folks that sell farmgate, grass finished, specific alliances as well as general commodity beef. This creates a larger overall pie and more profit for the participants in the industry. One size does not fit all, so in my mind Canadian is not specific enough to drive profit to where it can/should be.

Comment

I get a pretty tired of hearing how the beef industry is fragmented. I would like to to see someone provide some good examples on why or how it is fragmented. Does it have a lot of different profit centers that compete for dollars? Yes. i believe it is diverse and we should recognize that there are different sectors in the cattle and beef industry that have different needs and priorities and that they need to work together on issues where it makes sense. As for the labelling I agree with Smcgrath, do whatever it takes to increase the size of the pie for all. Anything else is a waste of time and resources.

Comment

Okay BWF that was weird. You asked how it was fragmented and then told us...LOL

On the branding front - are we all in agreement that any brand works as long as all beef is treated the same when it comes to healthiness for consumers; despite hormonal growth implants, antibiotics and beta agonists? LOL

Comment

Well if that is what fragmented is so be it. I think the sectors are working more together on common issues. When people say it is fragmented I take that as a negative. I am not certain that it is. Segmented is much different than fragmented.

Comment

i would have to tend to agree with smcgrath76. although promoting the �Canadian beef brand� is important, there seems to be a lot more opportunity AND profit creating niche markets and in some cases cutting out the middleman.

BFW � When people say the beef industry is �fragmented� it can be seen as a negative OR an opportuity. There are different types of consumers out there, Demanding different qualities (beef qualities). Guys and gals just need to me more aware of not �bashing� one production method i.e. grain fed vs. grass fed in order to turn a profit. That�s where we lose. We need to market it as an option not better than the other guy.

Comment

Well then koolranch. What a wonderful loving post. Just market on positives and those of you who don't follow the conventional like, please keep all the knowledge about the changes that have been made to the industry in the name of profit within.

Actually marketing on positives may be a good idea. Instead of hiding behind the positives of drugs like beta agonists, why don't you make an ad for television, or ask the segmented but functional system that BFW supports to make an ad for all people to see about the positive affects of beta agonists. Maybe even back up a few years and show people around the world how hormonal growth implants and ionophores and extended antibiotic use are good for them. Instead of having folks who choose organic or natural cattle raising methods and having to jump through government hoops backed by so called industry leadership, why not have the "conventional" beef industry be transparent. Instead of the extra costs involved with labeling, certification and protocol for organic, grass finished, or natural beef, why not identify the protocol of beef raised with HGP, beta agonists, ionophones and other prolonged antibiotics. And then let the consumer decide.
                Its all shit and giggles until someone giggles and shits koolranch. Time for the conventional industry to get off the proverbial pot and quit blaming non conventional producers and marketers for ****ing up their nice little industry.

Comment

What other sector of the economy markets it's product by insisting it's no better than their competitors?
                  Truck adverts, breakfast cereal adverts etc etc all say theirs is the best choice to appeal to consumers so why should we be any different?

Comment

Relax.

I thought we were all friends?

Maybe I didn’t explain myself correctly. All I was suggesting is that as a beef producer, I produce want consumers want. I am done “convincing” that A is better than B. I simply share the benefits of how I raise my cattle without criticizing other methods. Everyone is different. I am sick and tried have us farmers fighting among each other.

Comment

And then today's mail came…

The Alberta Beef Producers rag where they give prizes to young people in agriculture for giving presentations on the "positive environmental impacts of hormone use" (Doesn't mention what they are btw - might be a stretch)

Then a whole page article promoting the "sound science" of hormone implants and GMOs and how the consumer has got to be taught about this.

And then like a breath of fresh air in the Alberta Farmer paper an article by Laura Rance on page 4:

http://www.agcanada.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/AFE140818.pdf

Couldn't have said it better - this dumb idea that the consumer is always wrong and that all we need is better propaganda to convey the "correct" message.

First rule of business - the consumer is always right.

Comment

Wait just a minute GF.... Maybe ABP is going to come out with an educational campaign that would not only give an explanation of the positive effects of Beta Agonists, HGP's and antibiotics on cattle and their digestors bodies, but promote labeling of this specialty product as well. I think I will give them a call as an avid supporter of the cattle industry and make the suggestion. Maybe even one of those gong show actions that we used to participate in at ABP producer meetings years ago. What did they call that process again? Where you right down your thoughts, have it accepted at a meeting and then have the delegates including the delegates from the zone where the thought started laugh it off over beers at the AGM. And then make fun of the producer who had the guts to bring anything other then packer kool aid to the meeting. Actually more chem kool aid as these chem companies and the packers are also part of the booze party love in at these ABP meetings.

As for farmers fighting Kool Ranch, (BTW I am not suggesting your farm name inferred your drinking the kool aid) this is not a fight.

More of an awakening to the reality of marketing vs the propaganda machine that GF has kindly eluded.

I comprehend the limited capacity ranchers and feedlot owners feel they have to not support the packer/chem trail of HGP's, Beta Agonist, and antilife drugs. It is all about survival at the bankers door in their minds. Should they see the potential that unique protocol and marketing at a national level would have and ask the folks masquerading as political leaders to tell the packers and chem companies that Canada is prepared to offer a product that will differentiate Canadian Beef from America GMO, chem infested wonder beef, we could all join hands and all make money. Ever hear the word Branding used beyond the corral fence Kool ranch. Talk about a way to galvanise ranchers. Maybe you can lead the way for us now that you have heard about an alternative direction that some of us have been promoting for this industry for over a decade.

Comment

Whoops. I noticed a few typos and one kinda negative remark about chemicals referring to American Beef as GMO, chem "infested". My sincere apologies. LOL

Comment

The reason that I suggested that this was a "fight" is because you come across on the forum rkaiser as negative. Maybe you are trying to be humorous but I don`t get it.

Comment

I guess it is all in how you interpret a fight koolranch. Does the establishment not like transparency?

Ask them.

Would they rather not listen to another point of view like mine or others who have simply given up posting on this forum?

You now have my views and can read them again if you like. And if you choose to take them to an ABP meeting, translated in your own way, you are welcome.

You will find out quickly if it is a fight or not.

Thank you for reading Koolranch and I wish you nothing but the best in your endeavors... Honestly. Randy

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.