• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another PC patronage appointment.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another PC patronage appointment.

More PC's at the at the feed bunk. Well at least Evan Berger will have someone to keep him company.
    EDMONTON - The Alberta government named the province’s first property rights advocate Monday, the latest in ongoing government efforts to diffuse anger among rural voters concerned about land rights.

Justice Minister Jonathan Denis named Lethbridge lawyer Lee Cutforth to the post, a fourth-generation Albertan who grew up working on his family’s farm.

“The advocate will ensure individuals, municipalities, government and industry are aware of the principles enshrined in our legislation,” Denis said in a statement.

“I am pleased Mr. Cutforth has agreed to take on this very important role and I am confident he will be a significant resource for Albertans.”

Cutforth will serve in the position for three years under the terms of the Property Rights Advocate Act, which was proclaimed in March following provincewide consultations with Albertans.

Cutforth will report to the Justice minister and is required to table an annual report. His office will be in Lethbridge and is expected to open in January.

Controversy surrounding provincial property rights legislation has dogged the Progressive Conservatives since 2009, when the Tories passed the Alberta Land Stewardship Act, then known as Bill 36.

Critics and opposition parties argued the bill gave the Tory cabinet too much power to “extinguish” rights in secret without recourse to the courts.

Other bills also came under fire, including the Land Assembly Project Area Act (Bill 19), the Electric Statutes Amendment Act (Bill 50), and the Carbon Capture and Storage Statutes Amendment Act (Bill 24).

The Wildrose party successfully turned land rights into a political wedge issue, and though the Redford government significantly amended the controversial bills before the spring election, the party still suffered sweeping defeat in the southern regions of the province.

More to come …

kkleiss@edmontonjournal.com

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Alberta government names property rights advocate/7677823/story.html#ixzz2EkEdsowH

“The advocate will ensure individuals, municipalities, government and industry are aware of the principles enshrined in our legislation,”

Sounds more like and apologist than an advocate.

Comment

Per - I was thinking it was actually a PR
      position.

Comment

Per your hammer is hitting the nail on the head.What really sticks out in my read is that the statement "The advocate will ensure individuals, municipalities, government and industry are aware of the principles enshrined in our legislation,” Denis said in a statement" , he is not only advocating for landowners but municipalities,govern,and industry.Spin doctor for the PC ,right along with Evan Berger.

Comment

a·pol·o·gist (-pl-jst)
          n.
          A person who argues in defense or justification of something, such as a doctrine, policy, or institution.

A PR position as well maybe. At least they parked his office in Lethbridge in the heart of the South Saskatchewan river basin so he can clearly explain how the myriad of pilot projects with market based instruments and the 5 special conservation management area's will be imposed.

Comment

Apparently a staff of five with suitable office and expense accounts. Justice Minister Denis actually had the gall to claim this is what Alberta landowners told the government they wanted! He tweeted "promise made....promise kept"!

McQueen had the nerve to say farmers and ranchers very clearly told the "Property Rights Task Force" this was what they wanted! Now I attended two of those special meetings (Olds & Rocky Mountain House) and the stakeholders meeting at Airdrie....and I never heard one soul ask for a property rights advocate!

What is the point of having a property rights advocate.....when we won't have any property rights? Is he going to hold our hand and say "There,there...it's okay....I'm from the government and I care about you. You are doing the noble thing sacrificing your land and water for the public good. We're all so proud of you."

Nothing but a waste of taxpayers money in my opinion!

Comment

The position now is just adivsor not advocate, no teeth no bite.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...