• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PFRA Shutdowns.....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PFRA Shutdowns.....

I heard from a neighbour that the PFRA patrons in Saskatchewan are organizing in order to fight the sale of the pastures. Apparently there will be meetings in the new year, with one on the 23rd of January for a start. I'm not sure where, though. Maybe someone else knows. From what I gather, Joanne Brochu, of Colonsay SK is an organizer.

I think this is a good idea, and something best done sooner rather than later.

Does anyone have any information on this? Is something like this happening in Alberta or Manitoba?

Here's a good perspective I found. The writer is not a cattle producer, but he sees the situation very clearly. It's well worth a read..

http://trevorherriot.blogspot.ca/2012/11/will-real-pasture-patrons-please-come.html

Kato every heard of potatoe gate in Alberta. 16000 acre of crown grazing land be sold to a PC supporter to broke up and grow potatoes

Comment

Why am I not surprised....

Comment

Sad thing is the meeting is the same time as Cattle Producers are having their Annual Meeting in the Center of the Province.

Wave a flag and you hope some will follow or go to the meeting and get support.

Resolutions on this issue are at the meeting.

SCS

Comment

The Alberta government is also considering the model of creating a public parks system. The Milk River Ranch in Montana just went under the knife.
          The Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks Commission voted on Monday to purchase the Milk River Ranch along the Hi-Line.

This means the state will buy 4,500 acres from private landowners. FWP will buy the first 3,000 acres for $4.7 million dollars using Habitat Montana money, which is funded through big game licenses to buy its portion of the ranch.

The MT Department of Natural Resources & Conservation (DNRC) will pay just over $1 million for 1,000 acres.

During the Monday meeting, which was held in Helena but conducted via teleconference across the state, Commissioner Ron Moody of Lewistown was the only one to vote against it, saying this would clean out the Habitat Montana fund for the year.

He also expressed concerns about the appraisal, saying the price seemed awfully high.

The other four Commissioners supported the purchase, despite the fact that most of the public comment was opposed to it.

Commissioner Shane Colton said, "What has been difficult in this project in particular is determining if it's just an objection to this proposal, if it's an objection to this administration, or if it's an objection to FWP owning land, period. I fear that the latter part is driving much of this discussion."

Commissioner Bob Ream said, "All in all for the benefit of the State of Montana as a whole, in the long run, this is, I think, an opportunity we can't pass up."

Dozens of citizens voiced their concerns via the conference call. It was standing room only in Havre where more than 80 people showed up to speak out, mostly against the acquisition.

People who live next to the land for sale voiced concerns about what this added access would mean for their properties.

Many say this land is not great for hunting or fishing and they'd prefer FWP use the money to improve public access elsewhere.
          A couple Great Falls residents also spoke out against the purchase, voicing concerns that include the high appraisal value and the limitations it could create for new farmers.

Bush Gillespie, a Hi-Line farmer, said, "We do have a deficit that we need to pay attention to. We are lacking young people in our most influential and important industry. Time is of essence. We need to attract, support, and encourage young people to come back to our family farms and ranches. This right here could be a chance to move in that direction. Let's not use taxpayer dollars to compete with those wishing to expand their farms and ranches."

The few people who spoke in favor of acquiring the land noted the area's cultural and scientific value, pointing out the possibility of archeological finds and applauding the improved access to such a beautiful area.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Monday mid-day) The Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks Commission voted on Monday morning to approve the purchase of the Milk River Ranch for $4.7 million.

Hundreds of people from across the state participated in the meeting via teleconference.

In Havre, dozens of people gathered in a conference room at the Great Northern Hotel to listen and participate in the statewide phone conference.

MT State Representative Wendy Warburton (R-Havre) spoke in opposition to the Milk River land acquisition.

We will have more on this developing story during this evening's newscast and online

Comment

Kato---you are very correct. Alot of grassroots action is taking place at this time across this province. All 62 PFRA pastures have been contacted and PFRA pasture patrons are being invited.

Pre-registration deadline is Jan 14 2013.

Jan 23 2013 at Sutherland Hall located at 1112 Central Avenue Saskatoon Sask. Reg is $20.00 which includes a catered lunch from Saskatoon Wildlife Federation.

SCS---What an ideal time to have a meeting like this. How has the attendance been at the last several SCA annual meetings. Same old few that look at each other and think all is good. CCA is present and another RA RA RA--How great we are.

The last SCA meeting I attended the quest speakers and message is you have to be BIG CATTLE OPERATOR or get out of business.

Maybe another association has to be organized to properly address the interests of another segment of the cattlemen population.

This meeting will enable those in attendance to show up to the SCA annual business meeting and vote. That way they don't have to pay for attending the SCA annual meeting--just show up at the business meeting.

Comment

Smell a left wing Skunk, when you are near one, don't stand down wind!

SCS

Comment

SCS--What is wrong with 2200 patrons that want to remain cattlemen with smaller herds to be able to do business in this province and run some cow-calf pairs?

SCS-Being a PFRA pasture patron is a privilege and to many in this province (central Sask) it is a means to run a mixed farming operation.

SCS--Already some groups including myself have met at a individual pasture level and looked at trying to run it as a patron pasture. What a gong show coming forward. THe province wants the grassroots to come forward with a business module so why not collectively bring all 62 pastures together with patrons (Majority interested in the same outcome) and build a business plan off of that structure.

SCS---this is exactly how pipeline landowners (with a common cause) organized to collectively take on a major pipeline company.

Comment

Two or three resolutions at SCA Meeting, you would think you would want to be there!

SCS

Comment

SCS-- yes it was introduced at 3 zone meetings Watrous, Turtleford and Moose Jaw.

Yes---hopefully there will be interested parties present at those meetings.

For myself I will not attend another SCA annual meeting. Two years ago I attended and all years before that when it was a Cattle Feeders meeting as well.

There was a very important topic presented at the last annual meeting I attended. I forwarded to the facilitor that I wanted to ask a question? The facilitator made sure that there was 0 time, I repeat 0 time to ask that question.

Controlled arms of government Canadian Cattlemen's association and now the SCA unfortunately is taking on the same direction.

Comment

Talked to a SCA participant who made the motion at one of the meetings, and asked why there were three the same, his reply it came from APAS. A self appointed group with only a third of the RM's belonging to.

It goes against it's parent SARM who spoke for the Pasture Action. APAS is very good at spending other peoples money, more left wing Farmer Union group.

Government will be at the SCA meeting and monitering how the vote goes. I am for what we need is the pastures to stay intact, but certainly don't agree with your actions.

SCS

Comment

SCS---I am sure fortunate to have experienced how working with CAEPLA has taught me how to look at things differently.

"It takes time to move a mountain but once it starts moving it is very difficult to stop it".

Comment

SCS--

First of all I appreciate the fact that you support the PFRA pasture concept the way it was/is. I am a patron of the PFRA in two pastures. I need the privilege to continue to graze in these pastures to keep our farm unit economically viable. I consider this a form of property rights---ie the privilege to be a PFRA pasture patron.

Here are some facts that I did not know before I was asked to get involved when we looked as patrons to consider dealing with a one pasture basis. Presently we are in Saskatoon area, many PFRA pastures in this area of mixed grain and some cow-calf operations. This area is very dependant on PFRA pastures to maintain the mixed farming operation. Huge infrastructure of cattle facilities have been built up over the years on these farms.

Facts now known to myself. PFRA pastures include 2 million acres of pasture land in Manitoba, Saskatchewan & Alberta. 1.2-1.4 million acres of this pasture conservation lands are in Saskatchewan within the 62 PFRA pastures. Alberta has the 1 pasture near Medicine Hat and the rest are in Manitoba.

There are 2200 PFRA pasture patrons in the province of Saskatchewan.

I was fortunate to have been asked to reach out and find PFRA pasture managers or PFRA pasture patron committees in early December about a PFRA PROVINCE WIDE MEETING OF PATRONS to Take Place on January 23 2012 at the Sutherland Hall at 1112 Central Avenue Saskatoon . Registration deadline is Jan 14 2013 Contact Joanne Brochu or jbrochu@sasktel.net. 306 255-2046. to register.

The blitz contacting of all PFRA pastures the first week of December was crucial because that is the week of next years Patron allocations. The word of this upcoming meetings was vastly spread quickly before the slowdown of the XMAS season.

What does one learn in phoning out across Saskatchewan contacting the different Pasture Patrons or Pasture Managers.

1)Huge relief to many pasture PFRA patrons that this might be a light needed. Huge anxiety on the future of these cow-calf enterprises. Some patrons were ready to "quit" and have a herd dispersal.

2)PFRA pasture managers & Riders ---the workers in the PFRA system were very concerned and were reluctant to discuss any matters because of a potential "GAG" clause regarding retirement packages.

(Sounds alot like the Energy Sector)

3)Support on a grassroots gathering is gaining momentum from other sectors in the communities as well. The hunters are very concerned because PFRA always has opened the gates Nov 1 when the cattle were out for big game hunting.

4)Contacting the rural veterinary clinics and talking with my veterinary colleagues soon found great support with the rural practicing veterinarians as well. The posters of this upcoming meeting is now in many vet clinics across the province. Many patrons have finished fall preg-checking, weaning and often stop in at the vet clinics to pay their bill and might have a yearly Xmas cheer with their local vet as well. Good discussion.

5)Great support being gathered at many local auction markets as well. Already auctioneers have announced and will keep announcing this upcoming PFRA pasture patron meeting in January 2013 as well.

SCS---good to your meetings where the lobbying is performed. Let the discussions continue in your travels. Discussion creates action, discussion shows governments that there might be a problem at the grassroots level. The phones might be ringing at the political levels as well both federal and provincial.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...