• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Essential Machinery

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sean: When I still had a horse....I think at times she had a lot more brains than I did(which might have not been much!).
    For me it was about money(and that particular horse was just getting too old). It costs a lot of money to keep a horse?
    I never used her that much. The kids didn't want to ride her.
    And though I said "the best day of my life was when the last horse left"......that is not entirely true. She died while I was on vacation in Mexico.....some kind of infection....and I will admit I shed a tear or two.
    She was a real good horse.

Comment

ASRG - they do cost - especially if you
      don't use them. We have just enough to
      do the work (and might be a horse
      short). The machinery thread makes me
      laugh as I have more money tied up in
      good cowhorses than I do in my tractor
      and more in my bull battery than our
      entire equipment lineup. We are
      technold fashion I guess...
      Plus I just like horses. I find them
      cathartic.

Comment

I miss my old horse, but unfortunately Hubby and horses are like oil and water. He just can't figure them out.

One of the biggest jobs our quad does, besides spring time fencing, is to set up the temporary fences in the corn field. You hold on to the reel, and drive across the paddock in a couple of minutes, rather than trudging for a half hour. LOL And our cows come to the quad too, after associating it with new corn paddocks, which comes in handy checking pasture.

Comment

I have been missing V-cutting. It's been 2 or
          maybe 3 years now since we cut bush. My
          neighbors have been going hard with land
          clearing. They just finished plowing last week with
          3 breaking plows....like 4 bottom....big plows! We
          had lots of fresh snow on the roads so we tied the
          v cutter up to the back of a super b. Neighbour
          had to haul a load of oats to the yard where my
          welder works out of so.. Kept the front of the
          cutter about a foot off the ground and giver.
          Cleared the extra snow off the road. Worked
          perfect.

Comment

Never been on a horse much since I was a kid
            and no great desire to start again. Never owned
            a quad but from observation of others they
            seem to encourage the desire to "win" against
            the cattle and force them to go where you want
            them to on your schedule. Never seen an ATV
            low-stress cattle handling demonstration - is
            that an oxymoron?
            So I tend to work on foot, with canine assistance
            although I'm between dogs now as the old one
            has bad hips and can't do much anymore and I
            always hate starting a young one until the old
            one is gone - the old ones just take it so badly
            emotionally and seem to give up on life. So
            some frustrating days at the moment herding
            on foot minus a dog - probably gives the
            neighbours some good entertainment and an
            expanded vocabulary lol.

Comment

The quad can work for low stress handling....its all about where you are and the quad is just a set of legs. Probably prolonged my cattle days as knees and hips are an issue.
              (Will, however admit that they can be dangerous if you lose your temper...age has away of "tempering" this problem)

Comment

Again I would like to reflect what I saw "over the ages" being a practicing vet in east central Alberta from 1976-96. That area had large cow herds and back in 76 it was by horse---all horse.

Then some of those ranches brought in the Quad and it was usually for the senior person of the team.

The quad used properly soon replaced some of the horses. It appears the "low idle" the quad can crawl around a herd was accepted by cattle.

The quad had the ability to "pick up speed quickly and that could help haze or head animals through a gate"

Bringing cattle in for preg-checking in the fall the quad and horse appeared to be compatable. The worst machine I saw when there was snow was the action of a snowmobile. That is a huge "Stupid" action to use around stock. When that machine was used the herd was a very undesireable group to own or operate around after that.

I go back and visit the area and those ranchers now appear to have more quads than horses around the place.

Idle down and the quad works well.

Comment

We use the quads almost daily around our cattle
                  and they have accepted them.. I believe if you just
                  idle around with the quads the cows are okay...
                  But you come in driving like you are in a quad
                  derby then let the games begin lol. The only
                  problem I have or our cows have is that every
                  time they hear the quad they think that they are
                  going to a new pasture with new grass. I would
                  like a set of tracks for my quad as this winter with
                  the bale grazing the snow is getting to be almost
                  to much for the quad to churn through.

Comment

So far we have had over 4 feet of snow ... last time it was winter 06/07.... most times we could get around with a cheap little Toyota 4X4... its nice to be in a heated cab, especially when you have a 4 year old and a 2 year old with you.... that said we we have cows, yearlings, bulls, and heifers bale grazing on over 5 quarters of land... forget driving out with a truck this year...3 years ago I bought a used Skandiac ($2500)... trapper type snowmobile... We are very glad we have it and works awesome for laying out bale grazing strips and for checking animals, which we have to do daily because of the wolf issues we have been having ..... The cattle are fine with the sled, just use some common sense and let them get used to it and use some good stock handling.... forget the tracks for the quad, just buy a decent used sled the oil patch boys are always flipping for newer and better. We have horses and quads... Horses has its purpose in our leases and for marketing our beef with customers and quads for getting out to the fields quick and efficiently while multitasking with other duties like running the office and beef sales..... that said they are dangerous and the worst are new interns that think its a license for speed

Comment

Quads and side by sides are as good as the operator just like a horse or a dog. Cows get used to them so much that we tag off a side by side and usually have the job done before the cow cares to notice. Heck cows can get used to anything, we always had trouble getting them to move off of the runway and often had to land on the road.

Comment

One fellow that had purchased a group of heifers mentioned it was easy to check those animals....whenever he came out to check on his quad, this group would come up and follow the quad.

Comment

GF just to let you know that quads can be used for low stress handling. I've been able to load heifers into a trailer in the middle of the pasture..mostly from 100 yards and in low gear. It doesn't take all day either and certainly saves a lot of walking

Comment

Just get a good horse to pull out the quad in deep snow. Quad clearance 12 inches, horse clearance 40 inches plus. All jokes aside I have used a side by side for years and have never had an ounce of problems moving cattle, no spooking and they cann't out run you.
                            You have face facts that you it depends on the terrain , a good horse moves cattle way more efficently in the bush and steep side hills. Each has its own benefit. But if GF wants to herd on foot he is a better man than I am or he is well rehersed on the Bud Williams technic of moving cattle.

Comment

I never took the Bud Williams courses but heard great
                              things about them. We learned as kids when moving
                              ewes and twins from field to field just where you
                              needed to be in relation to the animals you were
                              moving. You could steer them from 20 yards away
                              but if you got a foot ahead or a foot behind where
                              you should have been you soon found out as they
                              disappeared over the horizon. The basics of sheep
                              and cattle movement are the same.

Comment

GF all about pressure points on any animal. Attended a seminar of his in Turner Valley with dad , amazing and eye opening. He demonstrated his skills even with a 4 bull elk ,moving them from a field to the corrals with out the slightess bit of problems. Sure wish the new better half could have taken in this seminar.Seems we have a difference of opinion when working cattle, always my fault of course why the damn gate wasn't closed. Learned from very early age to keep your mouth shut when women are involved helping sort cattle. Mom would always help dad and as soon he raised his voice or used some colorful language she would just walk back to house and therefore he would doing it on his own.
                                There is still videos floating arround the country of Bub Williams seminars on working cattle.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...