• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here we go again...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here we go again...

Listening to a story right now on CTV news about a document that ordered CFIA inspectors at XL to give extra attention to meat destined for Japan, but to IGNORE splatter and contamination on meat destined for Canada. They don't say exactly when it was written, but it sure shows a mindset that needs to be addressed.

Management at CFIA says the contamination would have been caught later, but the inspectors say it wouldn't.

Enough is enough. This is nonsense. When is it going to stop? And more important... Where is it going to stop? When is someone going to man up and take responsibility?

Great question. When I was in Australia the front page news in Sydney was the outbreak. When I got back I tried to get as much info I could on this whole XL fiaso and I came across numerous news release from CFIA that none, I repete none of meat made it to consumers, then how did so many people get sick. There is a very good news release on CTV that the head of CFIA and J. Ritz ag minister stated no meat made to retail outlets. Here is the link. http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=775810

Comment

Is this unique to XL?

Who is checking the other plants for same
      kind of procedure?

Comment

Here is the link kato - September 12 2008 is the date
        on the memo. It's OK though - they wrote a new
        memo cancelling this one TWO WEEKS AGO!!! not in
        September when this story blew up first.

Comment

over in china, and korea, they hang their meat (and ours) out in the street at their markets. With all the filth involved out there, why are they able to dictate sanitary issues in our plants. Japan is no different

Comment

Kato ,I was sent this from a friend...
            XL Foods: Inspectors told to ignore contaminated carcasses
            Published on Thursday November 29, 2012

Laura Kane
            Staff Reporter

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1294763--xl-foods-inspectors-told-to-ignore-contaminated-carcasses

Federal beef inspectors were told to ignore contamination on carcasses being processed for sale to Canadians at the XL Foods plant.

A memo from a Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) meat hygiene supervisor obtained by CTV News instructed CFIA inspectors to closely examine carcasses being processed for shipment to Japan, but to ignore visible contamination on meat for Canadians.

“Our number 1 priority is to ensure this standard is met with Japan eligible carcasses,” said the memo.

“Ensure that non-Japan-eligible carcasses are not inspected for spinal cord/dura mater, OCD (other carcass defects) and minor ingesta,” the note said. “Ignore them.”

The president of the union representing workers at the Brooks, Alta., plant told the Star he was disturbed when he read the memo.

“I was shocked that the CFIA would give that kind of direction. No product should go out of the plant that’s unsafe,” said Doug O’Halloran, president of United Food & Commercial Workers, Local 401.

“I just don’t understand the logic that it’s OK for products that are not good enough for Japan to be processed and sold in Canada.”

He said that sort of contamination includes fecal matter and intestinal content, but the most dangerous was the spinal cord matter, which can affect the human brain.

According to the memo, those contaminants can be detected later on in the processing operation. The CFIA’s executive director of western operations, Harpreet Kochhar, has said the carcasses go through a decontamination shower that removes remnants of organs and feces.

O’Halloran said this process does not remove all visible contamination and it can force feces deeper into the meat.

“If we can catch it down the line, then why was that plant closed for three weeks?” he said. “I’m thankful we haven’t had more incidents in the past.”

The memo was first sent Sept. 12, 2008, and reissued in 2010 and 2011, according to CTV.

The XL Foods plant was at the centre of an E. coli outbreak in September that led to the largest meat recall in Canadian history.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...