• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MAD COW DISEASE FOUND IN THE UNITED STATES

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAD COW DISEASE FOUND IN THE UNITED STATES

WASHINGTON, Dec 23 (Reuters) - At least one confirmed case of the deadly mad cow disease was found in an animal in Washington state, a U.S. Agriculture Department official said on Tuesday.

Mad cow disease, also known as bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), had previously not been found in the United States, but it devastated the European cattle industry in the 1990s. Scientists believe humans can be infected with the brain-wasting disease by eating diseased meat.

A USDA spokeswoman said one case was being investigated, but declined further comment. A spokesman for the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, which regulates futures trading, said the agency was told that the USDA had detected mad cow disease in Washington state.

One industry source, who declined to be identified, said a "downer" animal -- one that is too sick to walk -- was diagnosed with mad cow disease in Washington state.

Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman was scheduled to hold a news conference at 5:30 p.m. EST (2230 GMT).

The U.S. cattle industry has long feared an outbreak of mad cow disease, which could result in billions of dollars of losses.

On May 20, Canada confirmed that one Alberta cow, which was slaughtered in January, had mad cow disease. The disease has been widespread in Europe and has been linked to about 130 human deaths, mostly in Britain.

The discovery of the sick Canadian cow triggered an immediate halt of Canadian meat exports by most countries as a precaution.

Because of concerns over mad cow disease, the European Union in 1994 banned the use of mammalian meat and bone meal in cattle feed, but it has allowed the products to be used in feed for other animals like chickens, pigs and fish.

It will be interesting to see what happens if the case is confirmed.

Comment

Rain;

I see on Spokane News that they are pulling meat off Portland store shelves.

Obviously the harder we look for BSE, the easier it will be to find!

CBC reports Japan has banned US meat imports.

Here we go again!

Comment

Will Canada reciprocate as the Americans did and ban US Beef?

Comment

I vote no closure. It is a North American problem. And don't announce that we are not closing the border without gaining concessions on some other issues we are fighting on. ie. lumber/wheat/full open livecattle.

It all politics and we better learn to play the game.

Comment

This may get the border open to Canadian Cattle quicker, as the US has announced they want to use science as the yard stick. Thats what we have been saying right?

Comment

Incognito;

I read that Canada has delayed a decision on closing the US border until the tests in England are done in 3-5 days.

Also US reports of the Alberta BSE case being tied to US cattle are rumored.

Comment

There is only one solution to this whole dilemna, and that is test every animal that is slaughtered period,no ifs ands or buts and then there is no doubt about the safety of the product. In fact cowman advocated that months ago, dam he is smart.

Comment

Tom:

I hope that this is a sign that we are at the negotiating table.

Regards and Merry XMAS

Comment

Incognito;

I see that the results are expected Christmas Day early afternoon...

It truly looks like a ban on US beef is in the works... Ottawa is not smart enough to negotiate in good faith... are they?

Comment

You know I think instead of being called "MAD COW" Disease it should be called "MAD WORLD" Disease.

Yes indeed, it's a MAD MAD MAD WORLD we live in. Pretty soon Zero meat will trade in this world.

I see Japan and South Korea have closed their borders to US beef. What will those countries do when BSE shows up in Australia, in Argintina, in Brazil??

Tofu anyone?

Comment

Incognito;

I see Canada could not resist the temptation to ban many types of US beef and ruminant animals.

Politics reigns supreme... again.

Comment

When most large beef trading countries have confirmed cases of BSE, does that then open the majority of the trade again?

Comment

Wd9;

If Canada were to individually test each beef animal (as happens in Japan now) I understand Japan would accept our exports now.

I know Alberta is in the process of setting up testing facilities as we speak...

We have certainly entered a new world of food safety... no doubt about it!

Comment

I thought Paul Martin was going to make sure things would be different now that he is in charge, but instead we have a new Ag Minister who doesn't consult the beef farmers and closes the border to some US beef products anyway. When will we get politicians who will actually listen to the wills of the primary producers?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...