• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pasture rental

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pasture rental

Could someone please tell me what the rental rates are for cow/calf pairs and for bred heifers to calve late in the fall. Would there really be any difference in rates paid? Is there a different rate for bulls turned in with the cows? Also what are each of the parties typically responsible for in the pasturing agreement?

Rental rates are determined by supply and demand, in an area where there is lots of demand for pasture rates are higher. In the area around me ( Olds AB) we see rates 18-22 for average pasture for Animal unit month (AUM)but as we go west the rates go up, closer to 20-25 per AUM. Heifers and yearlings are normally considered to be .67 of an AUM, with Bulls >2 yr being 1.5 AUM Weaned calves are .5 AUM. The thing about negoitiating pasture rates are we both talking AUM's or cow calf pairs. Typically tenants are responsible for the normal up keep of the fences and facilities. Any improvements or major reconstructions are normally supplied by the landowner. I have seen arrangments where the tenant does the work and the landowner supplies materials for major constructions. There is no basic or standard agreement just agree to something and then write it down.

Comment

I am from the central interior area of BC and our pasture rates are quite a bit lower. The community pasture is about $15 per AUM for a cow calf pair. Here the animals are completely looked after. As long as they stay healthy we don't see them from the first of June to the end of September. There are sometimes problems with wolves and consequently we occasionally end up with one coming home that has been snacked on! Locally we also rent some pasture where we look after the animals ourselves and for this we pay $10 per month. Margaret, Vanderhoof BC

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...
      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.