• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T-Man's Points

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T-Man's Points

T-man makes some interesting points at the end of the "Do you remember" thread.
    A couple of the good ones are regarding the feedlot model, and the issue of extended season
    grazing.
    I would be interested to hear comments about these 2 areas, and what some potential visions
    for the future of the feeding/finishing industry might look like, and current things people
    are doing to extend their grazing seasons.
    I suspect the feeding industry is somewhat entrenched for the next several years for a
    couple of reasons - large investment and equity, cash flow and tax planning issues (for
    owners of feedlots and owners of cattle) and the capital investment of alternative finishing
    systems.
    The grazing thing interests me for many personal reasons and also because I know there are a
    lot of climates represented on the site, and I would call "BS" on the "you can't do that
    here!" argument.

I don't do swath grazing or bale grazing.
    I think often people don't pencil in "loss of use" when doing swath grazing?
    Let's face it, if you can grow canola on the land you swath graze, it's kind of a no brainer?
    The latest "new idea" is a crop rotation "roundup ready canola"- "cereal"- "liberty link canola"- "cereal".
    If they every figure out how to eliminate clubroot, the economics will change even more?
    When feed barley is over $5 and canola $14.....those 2 or more acres/cow (if you could swath graze all winter) might be the most expensive feed you'll ever feed?
    Many of the new canola varieties are hitting that 55-60 bu/acre regularily....at $14 that is a gross of $770-$840? Feed barley at $5 X 90 bu is $450.On a three year rotation (cereal-cereal-canola) that still works out to close to $583 gross? A general rule of thumb is about 40% for all inputs...leaving a profit for your land at about $350/acre....if you swath graze 2/acres/cow it costs $700?
    Now maybe my math is all wrong here or something? Maybe it only works in a sure crop area?
    I can buy fairly decent hay for 3 cents a pound. I can buy decent straw for 1.5 cents a pound. If I feed half and half that is 52.5 cents/cow.day for hay and 26.25 cents /cow/day for a total of about 79/day/cow?
    If we go 200 days that works out to $158/cow/winter feeding period?
    Of course I have to own and start a tractor or feeding truck or whatever?
    If we instead swath graze what does that cost us? If we want production we still have to use fertilizer, decent seed, and spray? Is 6000 lb./acre a realistic production? 6000 lb equals enough feed to feed that cow 171 days(I would suggest for swath grazing to work they had better be cleaning it all up, right to the dirt!)....and I have the added cost of fertilizer/spray/seed/seeding costs/swathing costs? True I don't have the cost of the tractor......but I do have the fun of moving and keeping electric fences working at-40!
    I looked at this years ago and came to the conclusion there was no way I could afford it!

Comment

To the original post - I agree very much with tmans
      ideas. The feedlot system is a horrible system in
      many ways - and remember the net profitability per
      animal over several decades has been around -$7 a
      head. I think it is a particularly flawed model on a
      nutrient and wealth transfer basis. Areas likes mine
      are ideally suited to grass production but very
      marginal for grain. Instead of shipping weaned calves
      from here to stand in CFOs on the Oldman and S.
      Saskatchewan river basins with the risk of water
      pollution and nutrient overload they would be better
      off grazing either until they are fat or at least heavy
      weight feeders. This would leave behind more fertility
      here where it's needed and also increase the
      production value of the land here which in turn would
      generate more wealth in diverse rural communities. I
      don't think anyone should be using irrigated land to
      grow feed for the feedlot system - that's an
      extravagance the world can ill afford. The whole
      feedlot model of production is built on fossil fuels
      and as such is unsustainable in my opinion.

ASRG made some good points but I think they are
      really for another discussion(s). One would be the
      merits of swath grazing or bale grazing as production
      practices and whether people are implementing them
      without doing their arithmetic properly first (I tend to
      agree) The second is the general "horn versus corn"
      debate relative to land use. I would say though that
      you are painting a best case scenario for canola.
      Some got $14/bu last year, not all by any means and
      it could be $8.50 just as easily as farmers have no
      control of that. With 25kg bags of seed over $500
      each, the need for rain to germinate it, the need for
      no frost or you face a costly reseed makes it a high
      risk crop, a risk I note that Monsanto does not share
      with farmers. They will sue you if you harvest a
      volunteer crop or one that got polluted by a
      neighbours seed but if your crop gets frozen you are
      out of luck - buy more seed.

Comment

Posted this on the do you remember thread, then I read this one. It belongs here.

As for the feedlots..

I agree about the feedlot thing, with a few modifications. Looking at those big huge multi-thousand head lots has always made me think of them as glorified outdoor hog barns. Basically it's the same principle, only exposed to the weather. Pack 'em in, stuff their faces, and get them out. In the meantime they're mixed with strangers and dealing with sicknesses, and stress.

However there will always have to be somewhere to finish cattle. The best cow calf land is not always near or suited to a good supply of grain, assuming one wants grain fed beef. Not everyone wants to finish cattle either. Maybe a better way to get that grain fed beef would be to bring in some way of risk management that would make it more appealing for smaller farm feedlots to feed cattle again, like they used to. We background calves, but have no access to any kind of risk management other than Agstability, and we all know how good that is. We can't lock anything in, since we don't have the numbers to be able to do it. We just have to jump in with two feet and risk the farm with every batch, so to speak. It takes the fun out of it, that's for sure.

As well, smaller groups of cattle over larger areas are much more sustainable, IMHO. Better to have fifty locations feeding the cattle than one. That's fifty more operations buying local grain over a larger area. Fifty operations supporting ten or fifteen veterinarians, instead of one on staff at one location. Fifty operations buying supplies in ten or fifteen towns are better than one.

I just don't buy into the bigger is better mentality. Economics of scale is one thing, but there's a point where the benefit starts to be solidified in one set of hands to the detriment of the industry as a whole. I don't think it's sustainable. Sooner or later, something will give, and what happens then?

The more players involved in food production, the safer the food supply is in general.

As for the extended grazing..

We graze corn. We don't have a lot of grain land, but we do have enough to give the cows almost four months of grazing. And still calve early. We don't lose any sleep about how much we could have made on canola either, since the amount of land involved wouldn't make or break anything anyway. We don't even enjoy growing crops, so why would we want to do it? We like growing cattle, so that's what we'll do.

Comment

canola today at Red Deer $14.14/bu. From the Alberta Ag site.
          Neighbor sold 52 lb. 2 row copeland barley at the bin last week $5.50/bu. to a feedlot down south.
          Just saying.

Comment

ASRG - you make some good points about
            opportunity costs (That's why cows are
            disappearing). We swath graze and
            average 160 AUGD per acre. No
            fertilizer, no spray, just cultivating,
            seeding and cutting. We don't waste
            much as any waste sprouts and is used
            for early spring grazing. We aren't set
            up for growing grain, and don't have an
            interest in it anyway, so we face a