• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaking of salmon, I've always wondered...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of salmon, I've always wondered...

The topic of salmon came up two posts down, and it got me to thinking about something that's been bothering me for a long time. Just a thought....

It seems that everywhere you look nowadays you hear about, sustainability, environmentally friendly, conservation, and preserving the wildlife and ecosystems of this world.

How come, then, does everyone seem to think that every person should be eating more fish? The earth is mostly covered in oceans, and no one seems to notice that the fish have been pulled out of them at an unsustainable rate for hundreds of years now. Does no one think that they could run out some day? Just look at what happened to the codfish, and whales, and you can see the future coming. Is the biodiversity of the ocean not important, just because we can't see under the surface? There are dead spots showing up around the planet in the oceans, and no one seems to care.

And all the while, it seems that every ecofriendly green leaning person in the media just ignores this, all the while ranting on and on about cows burping up greenhouse gasses.

I would say that if someone was really serious about saving this planet, and not just about focusing on some cow's digestive processes, they would be putting their energy into doing something about the factory ships floating around the world scooping up everything that falls in front of their nets.

Cattle represent a sustainable source of protein, while, at the rate we are going, fish do not.

Perhaps we should be pointing this out to people?

And the solution would be??? - more factory farmed fish!!
    Over fishing is a huge problem Kato and one that has been looming for a while. There is also the whole aspect of how fish fit into our global ecosystem. I saw it discussed somewhere that the negative effect global warming was having on the polar bear population threatened mankind - less polar bears means the population of seals would explode leading to almost extinction of fish populations which in turn would lead to the oceans being brought to a point of collapse due to plankton
    overload!!
    It is all connected at some level and unfortunately mankind's solution is to turn a blind eye - ramp up industrial, fossil fuel fired food production. Grow more beef, more grain, more fish in less space and who gives a @#%% if the food produced is unhealthy, full of chemicals or hormones that might sterilize the next generation of humans? You only live once - right?
    Sustainable - not!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...