• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cherries?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cherries?

I was talking to this lady this summer who runs some sort of nursery/breeding orchard and she was telling me about this new cherry variety that is coming out next year. Now it wasn't an Evans cherry although she had those too. She claimed this cherry was as big and as tasty as a Bing cherry, outyielded them, and was developed at Saskatoon. Has anyone heard of this cherry?

Try contacting saskatoonfarm.com listed as
    being off hwy 2 south of Calgary. They had a
    new variety of eating cherry, as yet unnamed,
    listed on the back of their catalogue this year.
    It sounds like this is the one you are looking
    for.

Comment

Yes Saskatoon farm does have these cherries. This lady mentioned them as the one other farm she knew that had them. Now I believe her outfit was called D and A farms and I know where it is just east of Bowden Alberta(about 25 miles).
      This lady was also telling me she was planting a lot of chokecherries. Apparently they are tough little suckers that can handle tough conditions. She had a very tasty syrup made from chokecherries that she will soon have on the market. We need more people like her.

Comment

The cherries you are talking about were developed by Dr. Bob Bors at the U of Sask.. To find more information type " dwarf sour cherries" in your search engine, and this will take you the U of S website. The lady you were talking to is Arden Delidais of D 'n A Gardens. She has distribution rights for these new cherries. Her web address is www.dnagardens.com

Comment

I listened to a presentation from an extension agrologist about specialty oil crops and he was talking about the oil potential from chokecherry seeds. His main point was the low cost of production due to the fact that the chokecherry was a perennial. This information was given as an adjunct to his main presentation on the potential of biodiesel.

Comment

RationAl, could you please provide more info on this. Who was the agrologist and their location. Am interested in chokecherry production and this could be a significant use of a byproduct.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...
            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.