• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nick Parsons-Heading for Ottawa

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nick Parsons-Heading for Ottawa

I understand this Dawson Creek farmer is driving his vintage Massey 860 combine to Ottawa. Support along his journey has been growing. Will he make a difference?

Everything we do makes a difference. No doubt his trip will bring a bit more pressure on Ottawa to come up with some more ad hoc money. Whether it will make any kind of long-term difference to western agriculture is, in my mind, debatable, as I think long-term solutions require a different approach to decision-making. If what we have been doing for the past 60 years worked, we would not have problems today.

Comment

A different approach would see the elected farmers within the CWB and WCWGA working together on agricultural policy, for the benefit of all. Rather than being merely lobbyists as is the case in the transportation issue.

Comment

You must realize that the CWB and the WCWGA members are from two diverging schools of philosophy . The CWB is fixated with bureaucratic monopolistic control and the WCWGA are proponents of free enterprise and laissez-faire . To have them agree on any one issue will take longer than you or I will be farming oilcan . Further-more this Liberal gov't. has no interest in continuing to prop up traditional western grain farming . They have made that message very clear . Look at what has happened to east coast fisheries and mining . We are the next resource sector to become extinct . I believe this to be true and I have spent my winter contemplating any personal future involvment in this frustrating industry .

Comment

Being a member of the WCWGA(voluntary) and the CWB(legislated), divergent philosophical views can be overcome through co-operation. It would seem the approach taken by the CWB and federal Liberals for any long term agricultural policy addressing foreign subsidies is a dismal failure, leading to the present farm protests. Perhaps Nick Parsons first stop should be at Winnipeg to ask the appointed non-farmers at the CWB how they have contributed to a long term agricultural policy for western Canada, addressing foreign subsidies.

Comment

The Liberal gov't. does not have the political will to react to western pressure re. a long term solution to American and Euro subsidies . Mr. Chretien and his buddies in cabinet ( Vanclief is not one of them ) have only the issues of central Canada on their priority list - besides , really what can they do ? There is no way that the American and Euro nations are going to bend to pressure from this or any other gov't. . They recognize the importance of a healthy agr. economy - this country sees us as a strain on the economy . We are on our own Oilcan ! The squeaky wheel of western agr. cannot be heard above the francaphone fervor of Quebec .

Comment

Under the title east helps east I posted comments about Treudeu's farm policies which you can check out if you care to .As for Nick Parsons combine trek I wish him luck . I would even consider joining him but it is calving time and I know that my old combine wouldn't make it that far I had to put a big boot in the front tire just to finish up this year .I really think our only hope is to get a more vocal outcry from our first nations farmers . Now there is a bunch that can raise some serious sh.. when they want to .Hey if you can't beat em join em! what say???

Comment

I think you are on to something when you say we are on our own. That beng the case, the question is, what can we do? So far most of this thread has talked about the government, and how it is not listening, etc., none of which it appears we can do anything about. As Steven Covey would say (in 'The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People'), we need to work in our 'circle of influence' (where we have some control), rather than our 'circle of concern', where we might be concerned, but have no real influence. Generally that means if what we have been doing is not working, for whatever reason, we need to think of alternatives. The latest issue of The Stockman Grassfarmer has an article about Tasmanian farmers, who are largely graziers raising sheep and cattle. By all accounts, they face more a difficult situation than Canadian farmers due to weather, rough land, distance to market, no subsidies at all, etc. They have a saying: 'Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better'.

Comment

Rural representation within elected provincial and federal political parties can bring about change more effectively than anything else. As for Nick Parsons, we hope he has a safe journey,perhaps he should stop by Human Resources and apply for a hand out,ASAP.

Comment

Nick Parsons will get some publicity but not solve the problem. It is an international problem.We here in the U.K. cannot make money at todays prices either. We need to co-operate world-wide to manage supply. Useing the Internet it could be done. Lets try.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...
                    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.