• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Ag minister?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Ag minister?

Who do you think it will be? Will he be able to do a better job than Lyle Van Clief? Who would you vote for Ag minister? I suspect old Lyle had a tough job trying to sell Ag to Chretien. Maybe Martin will be more sympathetic and cooperative?
    How about that Ralph Goodale? Looks like he is going to be a heavy hitter in Martins cabinet! I guess Saskatchewan should be happy, right?

I would immagine, Goodale will be up for the job, as far as who could do a better job than Vanclief, Sheila Cops would have done a better job. My only problem with Ralphy, is that he is a CWB supporter, but he will have a better handle on Canadian agriculture as a whole. Just my thoughts.

Comment

I don't think Goodale will end up as the new agriculture minister, rumour has it that he will be the deputy prime minister. Quite frankly he would be way better at that, talk everybody to death and say nothing.(just my opinion of course) There is no doubt he will be a heavy hitter in the new cabinet tho as he does seem to be close to Paul Martin. It won't really matter who is the minister if the government doesn't have the proper resolve to tackle the problems facing agriculture. I hear rumours of them priorizing spending already and what are the chances that agriculture will be one of their pressing priorities. Sorry to put a damper on anybody's new found enthusiasm but my gut feeling isn't real good.

Comment

carebear, you may feel a little sick now, but fill the medicine chest up as I'm sure the will be a lot more challenges in the industry to come. Ag industry around the world is being challenged today and under our present system the primary producer may get some hand outs in a blow out like the BSE thing but only if they mean more coin in the pockets of one of the big guys! Almost every program introduced goes through a packer or feeder or marketer!!! Yes the primary producer does get some coin in their jeans but the others are able to back their dump trucks through the loop holes in the system and fill them up! .... As you said ... Just my opinion!

Comment

Well I'm hoping with Paul Martin as prime minister things will turn around. I mean sure he is a liberal but at least he balanced the books! And he seems to be business oriented.
          I don't think Ralph Goodale will be Ag minister(to low of a profile job) but if you are part of the inner circle you should have some influence right? And he is a Saskatchewan boy after all so he should understand the problems?
          But who might be the new Ag minister? There must be some rural MPs from Ontario that are up and comers? How about Wayne Easter from down east?

Comment

I've heard rumours that Paul Steckle, Huron Bruce,Ontario is in line for the Ag.Minister's spot.

Comment

So Kathy, whats this Speckle like? Is he a farmer? What kind? Has he got some talent or is he just a party hack?

Comment

Whoever it is, it has to be better than what we had. Only one little detail if they don't get rid of that deputy minister there will be not much difference. I would make on suggestion to the new prime minister send the deputy minister over to the department of indian affairs to clean up that department. He would be scalped within six weeks I would bet.

Comment

I don't think it will be Sheila Copps as her mooooooing days are over.

Comment

It would be nice to see Wayne Easter as the new ag minister. He has a lot of national ag experience and the solicitor general postition (a post where one must compuslivly lie on a regular basis)doesn't seem to fit his demeanor. Whomever gets the ag. post, it would most definately be an improvement on Lyle van coward. I have to agree that a replacement of the deputy minister is essential. Samy is doing his best to focus ag research dollars on admin. by replacing scientists with MBAs.

Comment

You know I suspect Wayne Easter might make a very good Ag minister! I mean sure he's fairly left wing but at least he understands the family farm concept and always stood up for the little guy. He didn't look all that comfortable in justice dealing with the dope and terrorist issues.
                      Maybe he would be a bit like Eugene Whalen, who always stood up for the Agriculture sector. Whether you agreed with his policies or not, Eugene had our best interests at heart.
                      I would hope a new minister would clear out the likes of Sammy and bring fresh people in. The fact of the matter is that the beurocracy really makes most of the decisions and the minister just goes a long with their decisions?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...