• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cowman's Scour Recipe

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cowman's Scour Recipe

Anybody remember that one? Was it 1 tsp. salt or 1 tbsp. salt? Does it really make a huge difference which we use?

What happened to all the old posts here? We used to be able to do a search and bring up lots of old posts going way back!

Don't remember the scour recipe, don't believe the difference from a teaspoon to a tablespoon would make that much of a difference. What I was wondering is, where is Cowman? I am not onhere regularily however I haven't noticed Cowman on here anymore. Hoping that it isn't for health reasons.

Comment

Is this what you are looking for

1. one liter of water
      2. one tablespoon of Javex bleach
      3. one raw egg
      4. two tablespoons of corn syrup
      5. one teaspoon of table salt
      6. Mix with a mixmaster. Tube the calf.
      7. Only treat once. Results can be dramatic.

Comment

It was 1.5 litres water, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 raw egg and 1 tablespoon javex bleach.

I made a note of it and store it in my drawer of scour remedies. I don't tend to open the drawer since moving to later calving on pasture. I did use it a few times with good success - only failed me once - a calf that I treated twice with the remedy, maybe wasn't a good idea?
        There certainly is a category of calf that looks beyond hope that this remedy can revive.
        I miss cowman's posts on here too - sometimes we need a devils advocate!

Comment

Thanks for posting this one, we had a few problems with scours around here this winter.

A while back someone had posted one for an electrolyte mix. If anyone has a recipe for an electrolyte mix, can you re-post it.

Thanks folks
          Nancy

Comment

1 package of fruit pectin
            1 teaspoon salt
            2 teaspoons baking soda
            1 10.5 oz can of beef consomme
            enough warm water to make 2 quarts of liquid.

Comment

the recipe i have is

2L water
              2 eggs
              1T bleach
              1T baking soda

got this from this site a few years ago, it works wonders.

Comment

Thanks Donna59, that one's really different. No salt or sugar....Hmmm!? I've been using the one with 1 Tbsp salt this year and it seems to be not working as well, still kinda think I used to have a recipe with only 1 tsp., but can't remember for sure..but no salt! What kind of scours does this recipe of yours work for?

Comment

i'm not sure, cedar. we scour guard our cows but the odd calf still get scours but don't know which type of scour.

Comment

DaneG - is that the electrolyte mix??

Comment

yes that is the electrolite, I will hit a sick calf with a couple of calfspan pills,a shot of nuflor and a shot of predif,electrolite about 2 or 3 times a day usually after 12hrs you can see an improvement.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...
                      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.