• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electronic ID

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electronic ID

The cattle ID group now says we are going to have to go to electronic ID tags. Which is okay I guess but why tags? Why not an implant? Sort of like a Synovex implant? Tags don't stay in forever! Would an implant stay in the life of the animal?
    And what was wrong with the bar code? Is this basically being done for the packers convenience? Didn't the cattle industry/or govt. pay for the expensive scanners, put in packing plants, to read the bar codes? Now we'll need new ones?
    Once again, I suspect, the cow/calf guy will get left holding the bag for the whole industry. Food safety is supposed to be the federal governments responsibility. Do you think maybe they should be paying for this new system?

These tags have been discussed from the start. We have been testing the electronic tag and the tag has the same challenges as the ones you have now. Retention. Implants are going to be the next step I am sure. and if you have to buy the scanners be prepared to pay the price. As we have worked with these things we have looked at how the cost could be used as a benefit to the farm community. I think these folks have gone beyond their mandate and are now selling tags through what they called recognized national farm community reps. Such as the dairy board, and the Canadian Bison Marketing council. The challenge is these guys charge a fee that supports their own organization. They tell us the fee is voluntary, but you pay it with the tag then apply for a refund. Several Alberta operations applied for refunds last year and didn't get them. When this was pointed out it was a shoulder shrug and brush off. These guys are lining us up again unless they go back to what they have been designed to do. Supply the service and stop picking the people they want to represent ag industry.

Comment

You see Valuechain, that is why I have a problem with the electronic tag. The bar code ones fall out...the electronic ones fall out! Now I assume an implant would not fall out? And surely if you are just putting in the coded chip it should be cheaper?
      When they first brought out the bar code tags I was sceptical because I know few tags last a lifetime. Do you remember the little round metal tags that clamped flat onto an ear? Or the little metal bangs tags? When I suggested these might be a better solution to Carl Block he said the packers couldn't read them well enough!

Comment

The packers like the electronic ID for sure, but retention is the main issue for us all. The implant tag would be the best option, but so far CCIA makes all those calls (with input from you I'm told) Either way the Canadian system is not bad and will move forward and become better. I am more concerned about how the tags are being distributed at the moment. Tag retention on the dingle dangle tags will never reach the target CCIA wants on many farms. I do remember the many tags we used to have but keep in mind the big packers have much more pull than you and I!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...