• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are we so smart?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are we so smart?

I haven’t read this web for over a year, but see nothing has changed. People are still pointing out how stupid government, corporations and city folk are and all the farm problems. Still all seem to agree that everybody is making more money and have a better life than the farmer. There is something wrong with this picture.

It is very easy to point out the problems, but solutions to solve the same may take longer, so lets not just point fingers and start working together.

Farming is a business and you are the manager so make the necessary changes to keep yourself happy.

The Government alone will never solve your problems and farmers will have to start working together to accomplish their goals.

Strawboss:You are sure right about us not being very smart. If we took our assetts and put them in just about any other business we'd probably be way ahead.
    And you are also right when you say we need to manage our business in a way that makes it profitable. The problem is sometimes governments have thrown up roadblocks that stop that from happening. One example of this is land use bylaws. I have some land that a developer wanted for a rural subdivision. He had the money and I was willing, but the municipality has it on hold. Now make no mistake...this would have been very profitable! For me and for him! So you have a willing buyer, a willing seller...isn't that what free enterprize is all about?
    This deal isn't dead yet, just on hold. If they deny it we are looking at taking them to court. Obviously we think we can win but I'll have to pay a lawyer to argue against a government lawyer(who I'm also paying?). Is this fair?
    So you see sometimes governments do get in the way of how we manage our resources and that is not a good thing.

Comment

Straw Boss...if you are still reading?
      I do not believe that you have come back after a year and read every thread posted since you have been gone!
      Let us know when you have read every post and then tell us if you have learned anything useful.
      As for government and the comments here about it....history shows that governments often become the worst enemies of the people.
      That there is distain expressed in these threads towards government, and a questioning of government actions or lack of it, is a given. And I would argue that it is a healthy exercise to question those in authority over us...as a free people...it is our duty!!

Comment

Ivbinconned

Your are right, I didn’t read all the threads, and I would be wasting my time if I did.

I take these comments as coffee shop talk, some talk more than others and nothing is solved. If you think that I would learn more about politics and facts of life from reading these threads ha! ha! I am an old bird and have seen the good, bad and the ugly.

We don’t live in a prefect world and need laws and regulations to try and accommodate all the people. WE are fortunate to live in a democratic country and have the freedom as individuals, but there is some greed in all of us that cause problems. Only the NDP can promise things they can’t or have to fulfill.

You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to know that there is always some money wasted in Government, corporations, farms and personal accounts due to poor management, because we are human. In most cases the percentage is low.

Some people don’t see the big picture and live in the coffee shop world.

I believe we live in the best country in the world, its not prefect and never will be, but it gives the coffee shop Lawyers and politicians a chance to solve the world problems.

Ivbinconned--- it is nice to see ones own comments and not copy miles of some one’s garbage.

Cowman--- There will always be laws of the land and some seem to be unfair, but I am sure with diplomatic negotiations you will get your land sold. I know the tree huggers and book smart environmentalists are trying to stop the world from turning, but they only delay things and commonsense will prevail.

Comment

Strawboss: Common sense usually prevails but sometimes you have to give it a helping hand! The point was we all need to do what is best for us. Manage what we have as we best see fit.
          Hey what is wrong with coffee shop talk? You can learn a whole lot of stuff. For example in the beef section I've learned things I would never of had a clue about, but would have blindly accepted the "official" version from my beef organizations and my government. Communication is a good thing! We need to hear what others are thinking if we are to make informed decisions. Doesn't mean they are right or wrong but it is awfully interesting and informative don't you think?

Comment

Straw, we are open to suggestions all the time. In fact there are many people in here that are working on making things better. This whole forum is a way that we can stay out of the coffeee shop and learn what is happening in the farm communities. Here we are able to get the feeling of some of those with experience to share, and use this experience to move our plans forward. We must deal with government, but also work with the people. Government has presented challenges that they themselves have made and we suffer for. But in my thought process, you are right the solutions will come from the people but government needs to get out of our way and keep in touch with the grass roots. I believe the ag community is changing and our government needs some changes too.

Comment

I don’t mean that the ag threads are all not interesting and informative, but the constant Government bashing, name calling and crying that everybody is out to put the farmer out of business is not my piece of cake. This leaves an impression that we would be better off with a bunch of warlords running our country.

Cowman --- You are one that starts a verity of topics that I like to read and they are not miles long so that one loses interest.

Comment

Strawboss: Well I'm glad I can provide the entertainment! I will admit I like to bash the governments, corporations etc. and hopefully if they do something right I'll praise them.
                I've been around the block too and am fairly pessimistic about a lot of things, but I sure do like people! I truly believe everyone I meet has something to teach me. Whether it is a millionaire or the bum in the street I give 5 bucks to! They all have a story, they all have a different way of looking at life. And I find that fascinating...I might not agree with their reality but it is interesting to try to understand them.
                The last thirty years or so has seen a mass exodus out of agriculture(at least in my area). The people still farming are confused and overwhelmed. I believe we need to communicate with each other...to try to understand what is happening? I think this is a good thing?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...