• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Company Wants To Test All Of Its Cows For Mad Cow; USDA Won't Let It

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company Wants To Test All Of Its Cows For Mad Cow; USDA Won't Let It

http://www.ksdk.com/news/world/us_world_article.aspx?storyid=94225

By LIBBY QUAID
    AP Food and Farm Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A Kansas meatpacker sued the government on Thursday for refusing to let the company test for mad cow disease in every animal it slaughters.

Creekstone Farms Premium Beef says it has Japanese customers who want comprehensive testing. The Agriculture Department threatened criminal prosecution if Creekstone did the tests, according to the company's lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Washington.

go to the link for the full article.

Yep, this debate on BSE testing is getting real old - kind of like that article which was from 2006 ;O)

Comment

you are correct, yes it is old. an update would be good, so do know what the current word on this is?

Comment

I see there was an oral argument scheduled for May 9th in the US court of appeal.You can read the text of the argument at:
        http://ranchers.net/forum/about25753.html
        My guess is that this case will be tied up so long in the legal system the company will give up or go bankrupt. That would be a shame as they deserve to succeed with it being the "land of the free" and all that.

Comment

thank you so much grassfarmer, much appreciated.

Comment

p.s. my husband tells me i should be posting under my own nickname not his.

Comment

Not much chance of Creekstone Farms Premium Beef LLC going broke, Grassfarmer. Creekstone is co-owned by Triad Foods Group and Sun Capital Partners, Inc.

Triad Foods Group has annual sales of $120,000,000. I see their trucks up here in Canada all the time, one of their brands is Sysco which services a lot of the fast food outlets. And yes it is probably U.S. product in those trucks.

Sun Capital Partners, Inc. is a private investment firm focused on leveraged buyouts, equity, debt, and other investments in market-leading companies. Sun Capital affiliates have invested in and managed more than 145 companies worldwide with combined sales in excess of $35.0 billion since Sun Capital’s inception in 1995. Sun Capital has offices in Boca Raton, Florida, Los Angeles, California, New York, New York, London, and Shenzhen.
              The firm's portfolio includes many regionally and nationally recognized companies, such as Bruegger's Bagels, Boston Market, Exopack, Marsh Supermarkets, Fazoli's Restaurants, Wickes Furniture, Nationwide Furniture, Mervyn's department stores, Anchor Blue Clothing Company, ShopKo, Pamida discount store chains, Smokey Bones, Levis, Hickory Farms and of course Creekstone Farms Premium Beef.

In 2006, Sun Capital announced the purchase of Marsh Supermarkets of Indianapolis, IN, the owner/operator of 128 supermarkets/food stores, and 154 Village Pantry convenience stores, among other divisions.[1]

In 2007, Sun Capital acquired majority interest in the plumbing fixture company American Standard Americas.
              Sun Capital also owns 25% of Chrysler Corporation as well as all or part of GMAC Financial Services.

Check out:

http://www.suncappart.com/index.php?page=portfolio

You will see how business really works.

Comment

What makes you think I don't know how business really works F_S? And what is the relevance of that to the Creekstone vs US Government court case?

Comment

You said "My guess is that this case will be tied up so long in the legal system the company will give up or go bankrupt."

Obviously Creekstone is not a small producer type packing plant but the beef marketing arm of a very large integrated multinational player. I never said anyone did not know how business worked but if you checked out the site you would see how Creekstone Farms Premium Beef by being partly owned by Triad and Sun Capital is completely vertically integrated from the packing plant through to transportation, the supermarket and beyond to food service and restaurants.

I thought it was interesting to notice that Sun Capital not only owned a large part of Chrysler but also GMAC Financing. They made money from you whether you bought a Dodge or a Chev.

Given the financial interactions and integration between Creekstone Farms, Triad and Sun Capital I cannot imagine Creekstone going bankrupt.

Creekstone has got a lot of press with their fight with the USDA. Any press is good press (well just about) and Creekstone's fight with the USDA will just add to the value of the Creekstone brand. The rich just get richer.

Sun Capital's division Exopack is a major supplier to Cargill and ConAgra.

Comment

from ranchers; don't know the original source

GIPSA Alleges Creekstone Farms Premium Beef, LLC Violated the Packers and Stockyards Act

WASHINGTON, April 11, 2008 - The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Grain Inspection, Packers and Stockyards Administration (GIPSA) has found evidence that Creekstone Farms Premium Beef, LLC (Creekstone), Arkansas City, Kansas, continued to engage in business as a packer when its current liabilities exceeded its current assets.

On April 7, 2008, GIPSA filed a complaint against Creekstone. If the allegations are admitted, or proven in an oral hearing, Creekstone may be ordered to cease and desist from violating the Packers and Stockyards (P&S) Act and assessed a civil penalty.

As a packer, Creekstone is engaged in the business of buying livestock in commerce for slaughter and manufacturing or preparing meat and meat food products for sale or shipment in commerce.

The P&S Act is a fair trade practice and payment protection law that promotes fair and competitive marketing environments for the livestock, meat, and poultry industries.

either the parent co.'s should step in or maybe they are throwing creekstone to the wolves.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...