• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good moisture

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good moisture

Things are looking up on the moisture front in my area at least. 1/2 inch of rain on Tuesday and another 3/4 precip today although it wasn't so nice when it was sitting white and 4 inches deep around lunchtime! Tried fencing around a swampy area yesterday and the frost is still in the ground - rock hard at only 4 inches deep!
    None of the farmers around here have been in the field yet - things are maybe looking up for local cattle feed availability unless things change real fast. I can see there being more oats and barley seeded than originally intended and possibly more silage available. What's it looking like elsewhere in the province/country?

South of Calgary we are wet. White this morning after showers off and on for the last two days. Some field work is done, the estimate is about 20% seeded. Hard to tell as most "one pass" now. No frost and the ground is warm. The grass has finaly turned green and is starting to push. When the sun comes out we should be able to hear it grow.

Comment

Good rain here on Wednesday afternoon and evening. Nobody on the fields here either, but pastures are starting to look green.

I am glad we didn't get any snow, for once this area was spared !

Comment

Our land got some pretty good moisture, probably 1/2 inch. But it froze hard enough to put ice on the puddles this morning. North of us 12 miles there was no rain at all and the Hutterites were seeding canola. Fieldwork had been going for only one day before the rain.

Comment

an hour ne of regina we're dry. adequate soil moisture but cold and we haven't gotten that inch of rain to kick things off. moving pairs out to graze carryover and skim the greenstuff real quick. trees aren't showing the usual leaves for this time in may either. since we moved out here we've seen more straw and stubble burning than in forty years in alberta and yesterday a neighbour lit up a slough and ended up burning five hundred acres. glad the wind was away from my fences and pastures. this burning is retarded.

Comment

Tremendous moisture here in the foothills SW of
            Cowtown. Maybe a foot of snow this morning and
            melting fast. Moose spooked one pensioned-out
            saddle horse through a gate. Woke up this morning to
            find the buckskin mare rooting around in the wife's
            perennial garden.No harm done. Grass should take off
            now and the dugouts and sloughs will brim. Oh for
            happier times.

Comment

Hopefully the flowerbed is intact, or the mare may be in more danger from your wife than she was from the moose !!

Comment

Both wet and dry up here. Low spots are still
                holding runoff from the winter snow, but higher
                spots are bone dry. Its cold like you wouldn't
                believe, dropping to -4C and -5C at night, so no
                grass even thinking about greening up. Trees
                aren't budding yet either.

<chuckle> Guess I shouldn't have sold as much hay
                as I did

Lots of wheels turning up here, but I think they're
                nuts. Ground temperature isn't even close to what
                it needs to be.

Rod

Comment

We're dry. And cold. There is probably enough moisture in the ground to get things going, but it just won't warm up! Only got to 10 today, and freezing again tonight. They are calling for a chance of rain on Monday, which would be real nice. The grass is not growing at all. Usually by now at least the ditches are green, but that hasn't even happened.

Seeding is happening around here, but some places south are so dry that they've quit to wait and see if it's going to be worth putting all that expensive fertilizer in. We're putting nitrogen on the corn land today, but won't seed it until it gets a lot warmer than this. Lucky for us, we didn't need to by phosphorus this year! The price of that is just plain crazy.

The potatoes are going in around Carberry, so spring can't be that far away!

Comment

...wet here west of red deer...was going to plant some canola to help subsidize the cows...but it is starting to look like barley instead...like everyone wanting heat now...weather forecast says minus 3 for the next 3 nights...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...