• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cow size

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cow size

Had heifer calve the other day out of the wind in the straw and just pulled up with the tractor as she was finished. She was a good momma, so I left her over night to tend to her calf. The next day it was obvious that the calf had not sucked so we brought her in to get her started. The calf was strong and all she needed was a little help. While the cow was in the chute, I clicked on the weigh scale. She was awfully empty but weighed a whopping 760 pounds. I scale the calves with one of those foot tapes so I might be a bit off from time to time but what do you think this heifer calf weighed. 86 pounds. That's a little over 11% of her body weight. Let's do the math on a typical 1100 pound heifer and predict the calving ease. Do you think an 1100 pound heifer would kick out a 121 pound calf and get up and mother the darn thing.

Here is a little article on cow size for you all.

Maximizing Value of Forage
    A ranch manager once said, “I am a grass producer, not a cattle producer. Cattle are the means
    of deriving value from my grass.” In the land-based cattle world, grass is the basic unit of
    production. Measuring grazing forage in terms of animal-unit-months (AUM’s) provides a way
    to determine total capacity and manage production levels for your land resource. For simplicity,
    let’s call a 1,100 # cow with a calf at her side par at 1.4 AUM’s. Two key factors of AUM
    usage are mature weight and milk production of the cows. It may be possible to increase the
    number of cows, and therefore calves, by moderating the mature weight and milk production of
    the cows. (Consider all unintended consequences when fine-tuning genetics!) The best source
    of AUM’s per acre is your local extension office.
    This example shows a sample calculation of two cows with different mature weights grazing on
    the same land. Keep in mind that this is an example and the variables will vary widely by breed,
    operation and region. A couple things to consider: There are many variations of mature weights
    and milk production levels within breeds. Reducing mature weight does not necessarily require
    changing breeds. Also, other factors, such as forage density and distance to water may impact
    cows of various frame sizes differently, i.e.: desert grazing in the west may not be suitable for
    higher nutrient-requirement cattle. While this example shows increased value in smaller-weight
    cattle, we realize this is not always the case. This example is designed to stimulate thought –
    run your individual numbers!
    Taken from the April 21, 2008 issue of Cattle-Fax TRENDS
    which is a Cattle-Fax publication for cow-calf producers
    Call 800-825525 to subscribe to this publication

Randy, you need to get her one of those really Heavy cow bells to put around her neck for when we get another of those north winds now that her calf is out. So lets fill her rumen back up. Ten gallons of water- 100 lbs and 25 lbs of hay. Almost have her to 900lbs. Too bad you can't post a picture on here.

Phil

Comment

So are those reduced cow size genetics or high birthweight genetics Randy? ;o)

Comment

Take a look at these links from the Leachman No Better Bull Series...
        http://www.leachman.com/NoBetterBull/NBB_2007_01_18.pdf

http://www.drovers.com/nobetterbull.asp?ts=nbm&pgID=735&ed_id=4263

The second link takes you to Drovers where you can watch the presentations live (not just the slides. You have to sign up but it is quick and easy. The presentations by Dave Pratt and Barry Dunn are particularly interesting ones.

Sean

Comment

The presentations are on the right hand side. The ones I mentioned were
          Managing Higher Cow Costs and
          Why are Ranchers Wealthy on Their Balnce Sheet and Dirt Poor in Their Bank Account.

Sean

Comment

I'm hoping she's getting canned any way-that's what happens if we help a calf suck. I'm getting to think the best cow for my country is a horse-we had a three year old mare we bought-foal out in the middle of that blizzard yesterday-we gathered the mares and her foal was dry-full of milk and not froze up. All she ad was a 6 wire electric fence for shelter-a calf in those conditions would be a coyote turd by now.

Comment

I'll weigh the heifer again this week some time per and get back to you.

My answer to your question is both grassfarmer, plus one more trait that we are working on ---- pelvic opening.

I pushed the bull on these heifers for a few reasons, his birth weight was fairly light but his fathers was not. His performance on forage was phenomenal and his testicle size awesome. His mothers udder is to die for and each of the heifer calves that come from these little heifers will remain in my herd.

How about a little letter to the Western Producer about size that I wrote after my boss told me to get the hell away from the computer for a while.. I obviously don't take orders well.

The April 10th edition of the Western Producer had an article titled "True grass-fed cattle long gone: expert." I personally do not agree that these cattle are long gone and feel that a look around outside of his box will find some cattle that fit well in to the grass fed, or short grain finish category. I personally raise Galloway and Welsh Black breeding stock and have selected for cattle that mature at a smaller size and finish at a lighter weight. We sold a load of 56 fat cattle in February of this year. These were mostly heifers and the bottom end of the steers in the group. The steers went out in December with similar carcass results as follows. The heifers average age was about 20 months. Some were fed through the summer last year and the rest were grazed. All of the cattle were then placed on a 50% start up and 65% maximum finishing ration. Lakeside Packers at Books were kind enough to bid on these cattle that were supposed to be destined for our hormone free marketing program which was over supplied. They sent me back the weights and grading results. The average weight of these carcasses was 623 pounds. The steers that went out in December at about 18 months weighed an average of 669 on the hook. The heifers and bottom end steers sold in February saw 35% grade AAA, and two came back as Prime. The remained were all AA carcasses. I realise that you may even have a hard time printing this article as it may seem too much like an infomercial for Galloway and Welsh Black cattle, and this is one of the many reasons these cattle have not been recognised for the traits they hold unique in our industry. Advertising or telling the story. Most producers have only heard of the weight gains on Barley for the past 30 years and have also sat back and watched these premium cattle that I raise docked in the auction barns because the feedlot buyers don't like the hair.LOL I won't be letting that hair over my eyes grow any longer. How about you?

--

Comment

Our rocket surgeon AI tech (me) successfully bred heifers to start calving a full 2 1/2 weeks ahead of schedule. We started exactly 1 hour after it started snowing and now have several on the ground.
                I know nothing was bred prior to AI as they were all CIDR'd. Either we are getting lazier, or our cows are pissed that we do less work all the time, but even later calving is looking better all the time.

Comment

I guess you are one step ahead of me in the caring area Mr. Wilson. I plan to give this heifer the chance she deserves. I am the one screwing around with genetics to try to help this industry build some better grass fed genetics and feel responsible to her. Besides the weather was horrid and it only took a few seconds to get baby on the tit. Momma wanted her from the moment she stood up.

Comment

You never mentioned the weather before-but better grassfed genetics include being able to birth your calf and take care of it on your own. Let her raise it but if it's a bull cut it-faintheart genetics always come back to haunt you-no matter what the breed.

Comment

We did the pelvic measuring thing years ago-our heifers were pretty large all things considering. The heifer with the smallest pelvis needed assistance and the heifer with the biggest needed help so it was a wash I guess. I remember the biggest heifer clear as a day-I'd flipped a horse end over end the day before and had dislocated my ribs from my backbone-I was in no mood for obstetrics-not that I ever am. I guees if weather was a factor Randy give her one chance-mine calve out where it would be quite a rodeo to get a calf sucking lol.

Comment

Oh it was a bit of a rodeo here to Cory. She damn near jumped in the trailer with the baby when I tried to load her out in the field but not quite. After that my quad was getting stuck in the snow trying to chase her in and I had to hoof it. When she was in she was real nice to baby and let it suck right away like I said.

It is a heifer so it will be staying home and not going off to the beef program.

I am a believer in genetic selection by traits but when even the best case scenario gives about 40% heritability, we have to give a little.

Had another one of these little girls pump out a 92 pound bull calf last year, and yes he did need a little help. He is in the steer pen and I actually worried about the momma and brought her in to calf after that big first one. She had a 72 pound heifer calf this year out of the same bull.

I call it Mother Natures curve balls. Wink Wink.

Comment

Just under 800 pounds after a couple of days with a bale feeder and water per. 3 more calves out of the same mating and all the other three were heifers as well. The other three were between 70 and 72 pounds and the three mommas were a tad bigger than the one I wrote about. Don't have a camera right now, so I guess you will just have to come for a visit old buddy.

Randy

Comment

Calving, crop, then visit. I drove by my neighbors Welsh Black calves yesterday. They are a bunch of crackerjacks.

Phil

Comment

And just what else would you expect Phil..... WINK

Randy

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...