• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pasture rent

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pasture rent

What are the pastures renting for this spring AUM, is the dry spring affecting things? Low calf prices?
    Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure what the going rate for pasture is right now. When negotiating the deal remember that there could be things the landowner would like more than money. I have some examples on our ranch of reduced rent for extra management. On one I agree to manage the grass in such a way as when they have their camp-outs etc. there are no cow pies or extra tall grass in their camping area. Thank goodness for dung beetles. There is also a list of do's and don't's regarding pesticides and grazing management. It fits with my management style anyway and I am able to rent it for $15 AUM.

I have a few smaller pasture that have no rent. I am required to take a large number of cattle in for a short time to mow for them. I get a few weeks of free pasture and they don't have to mow or fertilyze or otherwise look after it. Again thank you to the dung beetles for cleaning up after.

On a third site they lean toward being organic and don't like spraying etc. We seeded that 1/4 to alfalfa/timothy and hay the first cut and swath graze the second cut. In return for the management favour we pay $30/ac in an area that land rents for $60/ac.

Take a look around and find something that you can do easily that someone else can't. The possibilities are endless.

Ropin the Web must have a list of conventional rates.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...