• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy Mother's Day

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Mother's Day

Sending a happy thought out to all you mom's and a whole lot of gratitude for what you do for us all year long.

Nobody believes in you like your mom does and a mom's encouragement lifts like no other.

It's been said that the toughest job in the world is being a mom and sometimes I think that farm mom's deal with a whole lot more some days.

I for one am grateful for all you do.

Many happy thoughts to all of you today and every day.

Thanks from this 'mom' !! My wonderful Mom has been gone for 15 years, but there isn't a day I don't remember something she said, or some kind selfless act she did over the years.

Comment

It probably wasn't a very happy day for all of the mothers in Edmonton and Calgary in rental units who got their new rent increases of anywhere from 50 to 100 percent. Renters in smaller cities are affected as well. If this continues for long I am expecting an exodus of families to small urban and rural areas where rents have not increased as much. If Stelmach and his government continue to stall on rent controls, watch the run on food banks and clothing depots as well.

I would suggest that we all contact our local MLA and bloody well protest the lack of action re: rent control of some description. There is a lot of stress building up and the weakest and poorest segment of our society are being unfairly treated when they shouldn't have to be saddled with the result of our real estate and economic boom.

Comment

wilagro, I have several comments on rent control, affordable housing etc.
        For those on fixed incomes that have seen their utilities, taxes if they are a homeowner, and cost of living increase a lot more than their increase in salaries or pensions , I have a great deal of sympathy.
        Many families are having a tough time making ends meet, but some are making choices about where to spend their money ( eg smoking, etc.) then expecting the government to assist them.

I think what needs to happen is the government to work with municipalities to utilize some of the numerous municipal reserve lands in cities and towns for lower cost housing. There was a program back in the Lougheed era that provided a significant loan for a down payment, which could be paid back over many years. This in my view, would allow people to get into a home of their own, with the payments likely cheaper than current rent.

Believe me, there are very few rental properties in any town in rural AB. that is near a resource based area. Our local newspaper today is carrying a story about a young couple who have been given notice that a dumpy old apartment building in our local town is being sold as condo's and they have six months to either come up with the money to buy a unit or relocate. The notice arrived just prior to the new legislation requiring one year's notice to convert existing apartments to condos.

Municipalities can do their part by relaxing regulations regarding basement suites as well. Many people whose kids are no longer living at home could remodel their basement and have a rental suite at not a significant capital outlay.

At this point the opposition is pulling out all stops to make a case for rent controls but I don't think that is the answer. In Edmonton many apartment buildings are being converted to condo's and if there were rent controls I can see that happening a lot more.

Some landlords are greedy, but landlords are seeing their input costs rise as well, plus the fact that many rental units are damaged by tenants which is a huge cost, which of course, is passed on to all renters.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...
        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.