• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada Scared It Won't Sell If Its Labeled?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada Scared It Won't Sell If Its Labeled?

CattleNetwork_Today 3/2/2007 12:00:00 PM

Canada Cattle, Hog Industries Prepare To Make Case Vs Labeling

WINNIPEG (Dow Jones)--Canada's cattle and hog industries say they are preparing to again step up their case against the U.S. government's Country Of Origin Labeling, or COOL, rules.

And industry officials say they're ready to put up a fight.

The proposed rules would require mandatory country-of-origin labeling on beef, lamb, pork, fish, agricultural commodities and peanuts. If passed, beef from cattle not born, raised and slaughtered in the U.S., for example, would have to be labeled with the country of its origin.

"Country of Origin Labeling in retail is a form of interruptive access," said Ted Haney, president of the Canadian Beef Export Federation, or CBEF. "It's not designed for health, it's not designed for food safety ... it is designed solely to force identification of non-U.S. products to U.S. consumers."

The Canadian Pork Council made submissions to the U.S. Department of Agriculture earlier this week as the agency opened a comment period for COOL, said Martin Rice, the organization's executive director.

"We essentially pointed out that while COOL may work for something like fish and shellfish, the same cannot be said about the cattle and hog sector," Rice said. "You have to remember it's much simpler to track fish and shellfish, given that there are no feedlots involved, there are no auction yards where feeder fish come and go, there is no finishing of the animal, etc. ..."

Such rules, if adopted, would have serious ramifications on the amount of beef and cattle Canada exports to the U.S., according to industry officials. The amendment has had trouble passing, and has twice been delayed from implementation.

Some in the U.S. industry have pushed for the rules because they say it would help from a marketing perspective given that the rules would be designed to underscore increased safety measures. Others in the U.S. industry say they are against it because of, among other things, the costs of implementation.

COOL was originally expected to be implemented by the Fall of 2004, said the Canadian Pork Council's Rice. It has had two subsequent delays, with the implementation now scheduled for September 30, 2008.

Rice said a bill is now in place in Congress aimed at moving the implementation a year ahead.

Haney said the Canadian cattle industry is a bit better poised heading into this round of pleading their case against implementation.

"Canada's beef sector is better prepared this time around because we are clear as to what the objectives are and how to compensate, but we also stand to be injured greatly because we don't have normalized access to key markets in Asia at this time."

"Prior to the BSE outbreak in Canada, the beef industry export dependence on the U.S. for processed product was just over 70%," he said. "Canada's beef processing industry has already stated its intention to bring that dependency down to the 50% level."

Haney acknowledged that since BSE, Canada's dependence on the U.S. as a destination for its beef products has gone back up to 85%. Part of that was associated with Canada's now-restricted access to Japan and lack of access to Taiwan, Thailand, South Korea or mainland China, which were Canada's chief sources of trade diversification.

But efforts to remove those restrictions were continuing, Haney said, noting that some breakthroughs with China were close.

Canada's Beef Information Center is undertaking efforts to limit the effects of COOL on the cattle sector.

“The Beef Information Center has been out ahead of this situation and has been working with industry participants in order to understand the impact of the rules on beef distributors and users in both Canada and the U.S.," Haney said. "One of the key tactics has been to increase the use of Canadian beef by the U.S. food sector, which will not be covered by COOL."

He said there will be a re-shifting of Canadian beef products moving into the U.S. as a result while the efforts to open offshore markets continues.

"The hope is that Canada will be able to maintain its value and its market share," he said.

Rice said another key problem with COOL is that it will represent an additional financial burden on retailers and wholesalers in the U.S. and Canada.

"Retailers in both countries, from what we know, have not found that COOL will provide any benefit, or that consumers in the U.S. will even embrace the idea once there is an increased cost involved," Rice said.

Haney agreed, noting that the CBEF has also heard mixed messages coming from the different sectors in the U.S., with most not supportive of the program.

"These U.S. outlets do not view this program as a demand-enhancing tool, but rather one that will increase cost," Haney said. "This means that the cost will eventually be transferred back down to U.S. cattle producers."

Source: Dwayne Klassen, Dow Jones Newswires; (204) 947-1700; resnews@compuserve.com

I am very glad to see our industry stand up for our producers on this issue. It is not a matter of scared to label, no one in Canada has any problem with voluntary labeling.

I think Haney hit the nail on the head “"[Mandatory] Country of Origin Labeling in retail is a form of interruptive access," said Ted Haney, president of the Canadian Beef Export Federation, or CBEF. "It's not designed for health, it's not designed for food safety ... it is designed solely to force identification of non-U.S. products to U.S. consumers." Actually he is being a little too kind. It is designed to restrict access of non-US cattle and beef to the US market and that includes Canada and Mexico, NAFTA partners with the United States.

I wholeheartedly agree “Such rules, if adopted, would have serious ramifications on the amount of beef and cattle Canada exports to the U.S., according to industry officials.”

I noted the comment “Rice said another key problem with COOL is that it will represent an additional financial burden on retailers and wholesalers in the U.S. and Canada. "Retailers in both countries, from what we know, have not found that COOL will provide any benefit, or that consumers in the U.S. will even embrace the idea once there is an increased cost involved," Rice said. Haney agreed, noting that the CBEF has also heard mixed messages coming from the different sectors in the U.S., with most not supportive of the program. "These U.S. outlets do not view this program as a demand-enhancing tool, but rather one that will increase cost," Haney said. "This means that the cost will eventually be transferred back down to U.S. cattle producers." Right on!

But enough with facts and logical reasoning. We frankly do not have to try and reason with those people south of the border any more. Our American friends and lawmakers will need to give long and serious thought to how committed they are to free trade between our two countries. Canada is a new world power in energy with Alberta being home to the largest reserves of oil in the world. I will let the Americans do the math.

From an Alberta cattle producers view I feel like paraphrasing Ralph Klein and saying those American bastards can freeze in the dark. I see a bumper sticker in that somewhere. Now I personally see the advantages of trade between our two countries but the Americans need to see it too. From a Canadian point of view, MCOOL is not trade friendly. Enough said.

Comment

And from a realist view - Americans are not bastards. American multinational companies are something worse. All about control farmers_son. Read the book.

Comment

I heard on the news last week that Canada provides the U.S. with 50% of it's energy.

I guess it's not appreciated eh? I bet it's not even known.

According to the Energy Information Administration, Canada and Mexico, the other pieces of the Free Trade Agreement, are a little more important than some would have us think.

"EIA forecasts that the United States will have total net oil imports (crude and products) of 12.2 million bbl/d during 2005, representing around 58 percent of total U.S. oil demand. Overall, the top suppliers of crude oil to the United States during January-August 2005 were Canada (1.6 million bbl/d), Mexico (1.6 million bbl/d), Saudi Arabia (1.5 million bbl/d), Venezuela (1.3 million bbl/d), and Nigeria (1.0 million bbl/d)."

note: bbl/d means barrels per day. That's a lot of oil.

Comment

I didn't include the electric power, coal, or other forms of energy.

Comment

Thanks to USDA's lack of concern for US consumers and the safety/longterm economic vitality of the US cattle herd, Canada is riding on the shirttails of the industry the US cattleman built...

I can see why Canadians oppose M-COOL when you have to ship 85% of your export beef to the US and get the USDA label so it can be passed off as US beef in order to sell it....

If Rule 2 goes into effect, how much of Canadas export beef will have to go to the US, be relabeled with a USDA inspected stamp and passed off as US product, in order to get someone to buy it? 99.9%???????????

Sad day when Canadian cattlemen have come to the point they have to support the multinationals use of fraud and deceit to market their product- just so they can stick a few more illicit bucks in their pocket!!!!!!

Comment

If there are any concerns about the USDA and the longterm vitality of the U.S. cattle herd it would have more to do with the USDA subsidizing ethanol production and the resulting increases in grain prices.

I am sure the multinationals do use fraud and deceit. Come to think of it, R-Calf does too. There is a lot of that going around.

I really do not care what arguments/lies the R-Calf people come up with. Any more R-Calf is just a bad memory. The blockade of Canadian live cattle never had anything to do with food safety. It had a bit to do with the economic vitality of the U.S cattle herd and a whole lot to do with the U.S. pressuring Canada to support some rather unfortunate U.S. foreign policies. What has changed however is the price of oil which was about $25 a barrel prior to BSE and since BSE it has risen to about $80 a barrel and today is above $60 a barrel. There is no way on gods green earth that the U.S. (which has BSE too by the way) is going to put in place any kind of trade restrictions on Alberta beef and live cattle when Alberta has the world’s largest oil reserves and our new Premier is a farmer.

Whether we are in Canada or the U.S., agriculture from here on in is going to be all about energy. The next ten years are going to be defined by energy. And we got it. No one is stopping Alberta’s cattle at the border any more.

Rule 2 is published, it is just a matter of weeks until we see those girls heading south. Willowcreek if you listen carefully on a quiet night you can hear them coming...mooo!!

Comment

Hogwash farmers_son. The beef industry has nothing to do with the Oil industry. And Rcalf has nothing to do with the border. All multinational packer manipulation. If ABP?CCA would see this and stop poking at Rcalf and depending on the open border to save their souls, we would all be better off. Rcalf and the ABP?CCA should both be looking at trying to get beef off this conintinent rather than squabbling over something they have no control over. No fear of cool here Oldtimer. Like I said before - you take Japan we'll take the E.U. That is the only solution to the current captive North American market.

That should be God's green earth farmer_son. Sorry for being technical and I am not a religious advertiser, just simply respectful of that old fart up there.

Comment

I do agree that R-Calf has nothing to do with the border. I agree the large packers are not above manipulation to increase their profits. But I would not overlook politics as being a factor in the opening/non opening of the border to live cattle and beef. If the United States considers the border being closed to our cows and cow beef along with continued barriers to trade with UTM animals to be in their best interest then the border will remain closed. However it is my opinion that the U.S. has become acutely aware of our oil reserves since the price of crude oil has increased three fold in the last four years. I think that puts Canada in the driver’s seat. I think you will see Rule 2 proceed in a very different fashion than the last Rule and it has everything to do with energy. The politics of oil.

As long as shipments to Europe and Japan need to be processed through one of our two Canadian packers I do not see shipments to those continents helping the current captive market situation. There are markets within North American for all the beef we can produce, in fact North America is a net importer of beef. We need alternative markets for our live cattle in order to break the captive market that does exist. I do not see us shipping live cattle to either the E.U. or Japan.

MCOOL is market interference. It is there, in part, to restrict the Canadian producers access to what is a North American market for beef and live cattle. It is not a marketing problem, it is an illegal trade action against Canada.

My wife corrected me on my typo re small “g”, you are right on that one. You spelled conintinent wrong.

Comment

"I think that puts Canada in the driver’s seat."

It should put Canada in the drivers seat, however we haven't had a hard line bargainer since Diefenbaker was in power.

When the border was still closed to UTMs, I was speaking to my MP one day and I asked him why we aren't playing more hardball with the US when it comes to NAFTA violations (wheat, softwood, beef). His response disappointed me: "The US buys alot of other products from Canada, and we have to be careful that we don't lose those sales."

I was very disappointed in his response, as I thought he had bigger cajones and more brains than that. I'm not sure where he feels that the US can get water, power and oil from as cheaply as they get it from Canada, but its obvious to me that he was considering the trade in high technology as the "other goods we sell". In other words, Ontario and Quebec are concerned about it, since they export more high technology than natural resources.

As long as the power is in the east, Western Canada, including oil rich Alberta, will always take a back seat to the wishes and desires of the East.

Rod

Comment

farmers_son and Haneys arguments and way of thinking play right into the Packers hands-- keep that generic beef out there so they can pipe it in from anywhere they can get their hands on it cheap...

farmers_son-- Did you notice that USDA also has a proposed rule to forget about FMD and allow imports from Argentina?

What will generic beef be worth when Cargil/Tyson/Swift/etal start piping it in from Argentina and Brazil at $20-$30cwt from their new feedlots and slaughter houses down there?... And as long as they control all the slaughter in N.A., they aren't going to voluntarily label or allow anyone else that slaughters to label- without government intervention forcing them to...

Kaiser- you need to get this farmer one of Bens books, so he can see the picture of a few years down the line when the Big 4 own ALL the cattle and beef industry.....

Comment

Willowcreek… Exactly so, you have raised some valid concerns. Yes the packers can buy live cattle cheaper in Brazil and Argentina. I would point out to you that those same packers can buy cheaper live cattle right next door in Canada, cheaper than in the U.S.

So what do you do about it? The U.S. producer could lobby for MCOOL, more protectionism, tariffs…as you say you are looking for government intervention to protect your industry. However there is another way.

I am going to throw out a wild and crazy idea. What would happen if live cattle were the same price in Canada as in the United States? Just like that our cheaper cattle are no longer a threat to your industry. It is not in the best interest of cattle producers in one country to see cattle producers in another country not being paid fair prices for live cattle. Trade barriers, MCOOL for example, only serve to create pools of cheaper live cattle in other countries. The packers operate globally, you are thinking locally. The big picture is that it is in the best interest of American producers to see Canadian live cattle prices on par with U.S. prices. Low live cattle prices in other countries does not support higher live cattle prices in the United States and in fact only benefit the packers.

The producer in Argentina and Brazil is not going to go away. I think the real underlying problem in those countries is the packer only pays those producers pennies on the dollar for their live cattle and then exports that beef globally at world prices, keeping the difference for themselves. It is a problem for all of us when producers anywhere in the world are not being paid fairly for their live cattle.

Comment

But farmers_son with the control the Big 4 have over the beef industry the market does not work that way...Example is the border now-- You guys have $20-30 cull cows- we have $40-50...If the border opens-your price won't go up to $40-50- instead ours will drop to $30...

They have us by the gonads and use wherever there is cheap beef available to hold/run the price back down...

And you will be long in your grave before many of these country's have a true fair trade-as its in each countries politicians best interests to protect their own industry first..

Are you afraid that Canadians won't buy Canadian beef either if its labeled? Are you saying that Canucks will prefer the cheap FMD Argentine beef over Canadian if both were labeled?

Comment

farmers_son QUOTE"I am going to throw out a wild and crazy idea. What would happen if live cattle were the same price in Canada as in the United States? Just like that our cheaper cattle are no longer a threat to your industry. It is not in the best interest of cattle producers in one country to see cattle producers in another country not being paid fair prices for live cattle. Trade barriers, MCOOL for example, only serve to create pools of cheaper live cattle in other countries. The packers operate globally, you are thinking locally. The big picture is that it is in the best interest of American producers to see Canadian live cattle prices on par with U.S. prices. Low live cattle prices in other countries does not support higher live cattle prices in the United States and in fact only benefit the packers."

The more I read this the harder I laughed...Who was the country that set a NAFTA precedent on cattle trade barriers?...Which country refused to allow US cattle north calling "ALL US CATTLE DISEASED"?
                            Then came back whining about this "North American Herd" concept- and we'll forget everything, when they found Mad Cow disease and everyone shut off exports?

It took years to get Canada to allow anything to go north-- then in the 12 years of NAFTA there were only about 2 years of actually cattle going north to any numbers (around 1999)...LOL

I was a PROPONENT of NAFTA thinking that it would work great- Canada with their great expanses of grain and feedlots could feed out many of these northern cattle...But then all Canadians decided they wanted to be cowboys- wanted to protect their own calf prices and didn't want US cattle up there- and shot don't NAFTA to me...

Canadians crapped in their own bed- but now want the US to let them crawl into bed with them...LOL

Comment

Canadians crapped in their own bed- but now want the US to let them crawl into bed with them...LOL

With an attitude like that, no wonder you guys are so well loved around the world.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...