• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLA's looking for a raise!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MLA's looking for a raise!

In reading the Edmonton SUN on Sunday, I came across an article where the MLAs are looking for a fairly hefty pay raise and perhaps a re-instated pension plan! They mentioned the base salary for a back bencher would rise from $67,000 to $103,000! Now obviously none of them are just taking home $67,000 now as they have all these nice little perks and of course per diems that make the take home pay quite a nice little package!
    They feel they desrve it as they have done such a wonderful job managing Albertas economy! I hate to break the news to them but that should read "Albertas economy has prospered despite the poor government management"!
    Ralph Klein isn't saying much about this other than to say the backbenchers were definitely on the low end of the pay scale! And really how many more can he promote into cabinet positions? We already have 24 cabinet ministers! Why we even have one cabinet minister whose job is to figure out why government is costing us so much!
    I would suggest these clowns are pretty well out of control and the whole works need to get back to the real world?

All information regarding MLA's salaries in available on the Government of AB. website. MLA's are paid a base salary plus a cost of living allowance, then a per diem for every committee meeting they attend.
    Chair's of Standing Policy and other committees receive additional compensation.
    I have no problem with the cost of living allowance as many MLA's keep apartments in Edmonton.
    It would be interesting so see a comparison of salaries of MLA's across the country and find out if our MLA's salaries are above, below or mid range.
    The province is currently reviewing compensation for senior officials, Deputy Ministers etc., so the review of MLA's salaries is timely.

If you feel that your MLA receives adequate compensation cowman, call him or her and let them know you aren't in favor of a salary increase.

Comment

Just read a blurb on the net about the proposed pay raise. Apparently it is supposed to be 27%. Discussions supposedly took place last week in caucus, and the Liberals seem to know all about what was said which makes me suspicious.
      I doubt that any of the MLA's would have leaked the info to the Liberals, so perhaps its all BS !!!

Comment

Funny isn't it, how everyone seems to think they are "worth" or deserve "something" and what a great job! they have done, regardless of the state of things.The fisherman down here were on a bit of a rampage last week and blockaded the ferry to Newfoundland over a dispute with federal fisheries minister Geoff Regan over crab quotas.They were arguing their point that they have a right to earn a living with their lisence and gear.That they deserve a fair return on their investments and labour.I agree.BUT. They don't work any harder or longer, or invest any more ,if as much, than we do.WE aught to have a right to a living as well,but if we whisper any such thing we are labled "the poor wining farmers " "never satisfied ".If the rest of the country had to live in our 'reality' it might do them , including the MLA's, a world of good.We can do everything right and go broke while most of the rest of the country gets paid a descent wage as long as they stay awake ,or at least don't get caught sleeping.

The industry ( one report) lost 7 billion ,were compensated 2 B while govt pats themselves on the back.???Job well done ?? Here in N.S. all we asked was to help us break even !

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...