• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baucus told he's not welcome in B.C. visit

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeing as the tensions are partly beef related, figured it might be okay to post this article here. Sure bound to cause a stink somewhere.

~
    Associated Press

A British Columbia lawmaker disturbed by U.S. restrictions on softwood and cattle imports told Sen. Max Baucus that "you're actually not welcome here" when the Montana Democrat visited Fernie, British Columbia, to talk about a potential coal mine.

The remark by Bill Bennett of British Columbia's Legislative Assembly raised a cheer Friday.

Baucus went to Fernie to discuss pending coal exploration that could lead to a new mine near the headwaters of the Flathead River system, which is on both sides of the U.S-Canada border. In Montana, the exploration has raised concern that Flathead water quality will be harmed. Baucus indicated an interest in establishing a group of Canadians and Americans to foster the exchange of scientific information between the two countries.

Bennett indicated little interest in Montanans' concerns about coal mining, focusing instead on the wood and cattle issues.

"I wouldn't dream of coming to Montana to tell you how to manage your natural resources," he said.

Some three decades ago, Baucus traveled to Ottawa for talks about a coal mine proposed for a site just north of Glacier National Park. The International Joint Commission, which works to resolve U.S-Canada disputes over shared waters, ultimately took up the issue. The mine proposal was scrapped over concerns about effects on water quality downstream.

Coal mining just north of Glacier was proposed again last year, with the provincial government then blocking the idea. In November, however, British Columbia gave Canada's Cline Mining Corp. permission to conduct exploratory work in the Flathead River headwaters area.

The Montana congressional delegation, the Kalispell Chamber of Commerce, the Fernie City Council and others have called for baseline environmental information to be compiled before work happens on the ground, but road building for the exploration is underway.

The province's failure to notify Montana about the exploration permit disturbed some people in the state.

"That's why I'm here - to talk it out, so we can find solutions," said Baucus, who acknowledged "some tensions," particularly with respect to wood and beef imports.

"We sat down with you (in talks) for the last 15 years," but despite rulings by World Trade Organization and North American Free Trade Act committees, the United States refuses Canadian goods, Bennett said. Soon afterward, he left with about a dozen supporters.

Among the people who remained, some offered to give Baucus names of British Columbia residents who should be involved in future talks about the mining issue.

Others suggested he tour working mines to observe Canadian technology.
    ~
    Take care.

Finally a politician with some guts!

Here here Bill Bennett.

Comment

wonder if anyone will tell Robert Kenned Jr the same thing here in AB ? Lorne Taylor did have the guts to stand up to him !!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...
      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.