• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conservativism's feminine side

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday, 8 November 2004
    David Warren

I am hardly the only Canadian "conservative" who looks with envy upon the United States. What strikes us, when we examine the political culture down there, is the openness with which such topics as abortion, and "gay marriage," are publicly discussed. Up here, you may be allowed to think conservative ideas but only God can help you if you speak them aloud.

The American courts may be as bad as Canadian courts, in uttering rulings that ignore written law and impose instead what is "politically correct." But the U.S. Republican party does not run away from the issues. And, despite the massed parrot chorus of the American mainstream media--as sympathetic to discordant noises as the massed parrot chorus up here, there are plenty of American conservatives willing to face the screeching, and fight the liberals trench by trench.

What is it about Canada that makes conservatives lose their nerve? This is a question I've been puzzling over for a long time, while trying to summon the nerve myself to continue fighting, even in Canada, for God and mom and apple pie. And I've been puzzling over it with greater vexation since watching our newly merged Conservative party wimp out on every major issue in the course of the last federal election. And then lose.

The obvious answer is Christianity. The churches are in much worse shape to the north of the indefensible border than to the south. The proportion of Canadians under direct influence from church teaching is much smaller. So conservatives here are seldom reminded of the eternal verities. The starch gets washed out of them, over time; or to improve the metaphor, they can see the gun of post-modernity at their head, but have forgotten the promise of salvation behind them.

This explanation is so obvious that I am going to ignore it for today, and move on to something more subtle. It is something brought home by the appearance of strong women in the vicinity of President Bush--Karen Hughes, Condoleezza Rice, his wife Laura, his mother Barbara. It's not only their influence, at the pinnacle of Republican power, but also Bush's apparent comfort in the vicinity of strong women that stands out.

To the Canadian male conservative, this seems almost unnatural, unmanly: appealing to women means tacking to the left. In the dark recesses of our northern psyche, strong women are on the other side. The Canadian conservative secretly imagines her as the mouthpiece for hideous liberal causes--and an unfortunate image swims into his head of snorting, lesbo-feminist fury, that can only be assuaged by radical acts of pusillanimity. ("You want an abortion? Sure! . . . Hey, can I pay for it?")

There might seem to be reason for this in history. If you subtract the women's vote from most Canadian election tallies, you change the result. Example: Pierre Trudeau would never have become prime minister; to say nothing of Chr‚tien, Pearson, even Mackenzie King. You could almost describe the long Liberal party hegemony as an artefact of the enfranchisement of Canadian women, which came at the end of the Great War, bringing Prohibition in its wake. Surely, giving the vote to women was an unmitigated disaster. But who would be man enough to take it away?

And yet, when you look south of the border, you see that a large part of President Bush's power base is what they call the "security moms." He has led John Kerry in female support in most of the polls, with his message of "faith, family and freedom."

The traditional male, liberal response to the challenge of women has been to create a politics that is more effeminate--men willingly surrendering to women what they imagine women want. Indeed, the whole point of the welfare state, as delivered by successive Liberal governments, has been to provide women with the husbands and fathers they never had--with a reliable source of unearned income, and help with any accidental kids. Paul Martin's national daycare scheme is the perfect proposal for a society in which men are redundant.

That is one side of the ledger. But on the other side are women whose natural propensities are Tory. They are the ones with whom Bush and his Republicans have forged their broad alliance. They know women are different than men, because they know women. And they know most women want men to be men.

It has to do with patriarchy and family values. The government and nation is like a family. In Canada, we follow the nurturing family model where mom and dad are equal partners. In the U.S., thanks to religious fundamentalism, they follow the strict father model of the family. The American family father says the world is a dangerous place and there is evil out there. the world is competative, they say, and there will always be winners and losers. there is absolute right and absolute wrong, they say. Thanks to fundamentalist Christianity, they say all children are born bad and have to be made "good". They think that they need a strict father to teach the children right from wrong because the father is the moral expert. So they use violence to teach kids right from wrong. those kids grow up using violence too.

The U.S. government is modeled after the strict father-figure. they also assume that strictness, morality and prosperity are linked. So if you are not moral (and the father/state decides what is moral) you deserve to be poor. In the U.S. it is the duty of each individual to maintain self-interest and not go trying to help the rest of society. You must try to be rich because it will point to how moral you are. The single mother is of no account.

In Canada, because we follow the nurturing parent model, we prefer to believe that if you take care of others first, they will, together, take care of you. So we prefer to support the underdogs and the "least of those" in order to raise us all up.

The U.S. thinks that social programs that take care of people are immoral. Canadians think the opposite. The U.S. thinks giving big tax breaks to the wealthy, and cutting benefits to single mothers and old age pensions is moral.

You all should read, "Don't Think of an Elephant" by George Lakoff for the answer to why the U.S. and Canada are so different.

Comment

“People (you) constantly speak of "the government" doing this or that, as they might speak of God doing it. But the government is really nothing but a group of men, and usually they are very inferior men. They may have some better man working for them, but they themselves are seldom worthy of any respect.” – H.L. Mencken

Comment

Well, yes, that is what I mean: the government made up of men who believe in punishment rather than nurturing, run the show in the United States.

Comment

Deb, there are alot more "women" holding positions of influence in the U.S. than in Canada!!

Comment

Very few women in politics here and there. Why would a nurturing woman want to go into a lion's pit like government politics? Condy Rice is the scariest woman I can name in politics these days.

I liked Deb Grey, even if she was in the wrong party

Comment

"scariest", Deb you need to stop listening to the liberals and their favorite...the CBC! And start thinking for yourself.
              Your little rant was nothing more than regurgatated central canadian dribble that is as usual, 10% fact and 90% wild imagination!
              I will grant you your opinion but please... we are not children here, so don't try to pass it off as FACT!

Comment

I've watched her boss launch an illegal invasion on a sovereign country and watched the U.S. go into a multi-trillion dollar debt. She supports his empire building efforts. I've heard her speeches so I'm not imagining things.

Comment

Ya right and Canada is lead by men of high moral convictions!! PLEASE read the two new threads at the top.

I note you like to change the subject Deb after my pointing out to you that "women" ARE in more prominant positions in the states than in Canada, proving some of your coments completely false.

Admit it...it is not so much your silly notion of a "male dominated" culture that bugs you as it is the fact that their exists some succesful "women out there that are "conservative"! Even Hillary is trying to appear more conservative.

Take note of something else too please. You where ranting about how fortunate we are to have our "canadian" way of doing things. Let me point out to you that this is an AG form that has been embroiled in dicussions about the beef border closure, and quite often about the fact that American Corporations own our packing industry and have been ****ing the industry.
                  Let me ask you this question, if you can relate to this issue. Why has your beloved Canadian Liberal government and cultural ladership allowed American Corporations to come into Canada and operate in a manner that they are NOT ALLOWED to, in the United states???

In the states the government has in place restrictions on their activities so they can not manipulate the market...in Canada, none!! Has our Canadian liberal government been bought...it would seem so. All the while trying to give the opposite impression

And you feel protected?? No you've "binconned"

Comment

Deb, here is another large but informative artical about the topic of "difference" bettween them and us that you seem to be hung up on.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/005/349tpijp.asp

Comment

I wasn't hung up on differences, you started the subject!

Comment

I went to that site and read what Matt had to say about Canada. Are you sure you didn't write it? It was filled with hatred, meaness and critical of many of the good things about Canada. the writer is so filled with hatred that he can't say anything nice about anything it seems. Very sad.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...