• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Billions more for Canada's welfare provinces

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Federal-provincial negotiations are beginning to resemble the famous Mad Hatter tea party in Alice in Wonderland. Everyone sings "Have a merry unbirthday," and nothing makes sense.

Last week's national Equalization powwow in Ottawa was so mind-bogglingly foolish it's hard to know where to start.

Equalization is a federal government program that raises the level of provincial social services in "have-not" provinces. Contrary to popular belief, the idea was not proposed (or even considered) when Canada was formed in 1867. It was enacted only in 1957, and not added to the Constitution until 1982.

In fact Equalization marked a blatant repudiation of the founding assumption that all provinces would look after their own social and economic development without national interference.

Since it began, Equalization has siphoned almost a quarter-trillion federal tax dollars from Alberta and Ontario, and delivered it to Quebec, the Atlantic, the eastern prairies and the northern territories. In the process it has robbed large areas of the country of any motive to improve themselves, in the same way that welfare and EI so easily rob the able-bodied of incentive to find a job.

Manitoba gets 19% of its provincial revenues from Equalization, the Atlantic provinces even more. They see this money as coming from "Ottawa," but in reality it's taken from the successful provincial economies of Alberta and Ontario.

With last week's agreement, national payments will rise from $9 billion last year to $11 billion next year, and escalate by 3.5% annually thereafter.

The welfare provinces, especially Quebec, had wanted it raised right away to $15 billion a year from the present $10 billion. After all, they argued, Ottawa taxed Canadians an "extra" $10 billion this year, so why shouldn't the welfare provinces get half of that?

It didn't bother them that not one dollar would have been sent back to the Alberta and Ontario taxpayers who contributed the lion's share. But why would it?

Paul Martin replied that Ottawa needs the "extra" money for its new national daycare program. More Mad Hatter talk. Daycare is 100% a provincial responsibility. So is urban development, another Martin enthusiasm.

Negotiations turned from foolish to furious when Newfoundland Premier Danny Williams stomped out. He said that Martin has reneged on an election promise to stop "clawing back" 70% of Newfoundland's royalty earnings by deducting them from the province's Equalization welfare cheque.

"Our pride can't be bought!" declared the premier.

No, just their votes. Martin's promise boosted the Liberals' Newfoundland campaign in June.

The problem with the whole Equalization system (like most other federal "help") is that it severs rights from responsibility. The welfare provinces feel they have a "right" to equal government programs and services, without an equal responsibility to pay for what they consume.

I know it's impolite in Canada to criticize welfare recipients, even those who don't need it.

But if we hope ever to downsize regional transfers to the much lower scale of other federal countries, we will have to start encouraging success instead of subsidizing failure. We should help the welfare provinces pay off their debts, in exchange for them reducing social spending and business taxes.

This will increase the size and productivity of their private sectors, and help all provinces in time to pay their own way. And surely regional self-sufficiency is the whole aim, is it not?

- Link Byfield

Why is it you just bring up the federal policys that are stupid we have our own here in alta but it seems when anyone trys to question the alta follys it starts a fed bashing party instead of any credable answers . I would like to see some of the provincial waste expresed at least as much as the feds because when the feds waste a dollar it is actualy only 10 cents of my money because we are about 10% of canadians.
    Mabey Ralph has played the fed liberal card so ofte that we cant see anything except liberal red.

Comment

Why is it you just bring up the federal policys that are stupid we have our own here in alta but it seems when anyone trys to question the alta follys it starts a fed bashing party instead of any credable answers . I would like to see some of the provincial waste expresed at least as much as the feds because when the feds waste a dollar it is actualy only 10 cents of my money because we are about 10% of canadians.
      Mabey Ralph has played the fed liberal card so ofte that we cant see anything except liberal red.

Comment

Horse; did you just get here. I have posted plenty about Alberta much of which should have shown you that when the feds waste money an Albertan is getting the shaft far more than any other Canadian. Do some reading!

Comment

Why shouldn't the federal government take more from Alberta? They know darned well they can? The people of Alberta don't seem to care...they just continue to send the check!
          Why should Martin give one rip about Alberta? No one voted for him here other than the old commies up in Redmonton? Which gave us that outstanding halfwit we have in cabinet...shrill Annie!
          Every Albertan should understand how we've gotten screwed....but they don't do anything about it? They continue to elect governments that bow down to Ottawa and worship their masters in Quebec! Pretty sad.

Comment

I just have to ask this - just what is it that you guys seem to want so much more of? We enjoy a relatively good standard of living in this province, although I must say that there are some real social problems cropping up.

What more do you want? The more we keep in this province, the worse the corruption that is so vehemently denounced elsewhere will become here.

How much is enough? Will it ever be enough?

I just don't get it. We need to be grateful for what we have, not covet what we don't.

Comment

There has been a wealth of reports and information put forward over the years by academics that show that Western Canada could stand alone and be, better off. It could be a wealthy independent nation. Bigger in area, and population, than many countries. I would submit that had the litany of grievances articulated by many political movements in Western Canada over the past 70 years been imposed on Western Canada in just the past 10 years there would be no question as to what would be under way now. We are like the frog in the frying pan…instead of being plopped into the hot frying pan … with the obvious reaction. The heat has been turned up slowly. To some it feels just right, to others its way to hot but we are to light headed now to figure out what’s going on. This is the way tyranny operates.
              Cakado do you have any kids working in Alberta. Are they making 40 to 50,000 per year? If so do you like it that they are subsidizing the Doctor in the Maritimes makeing $100,000 per year.
              If I covet any thing, it is what we have rightfully earned, and have been robbed of. You know this... but your liberal sentiments and contraryism get in the way of accepting the more forcefull reaction by some of us.

And by the way, political corruption is the result of unaccountability not prosperity!!

Comment

Coruption is from unacoutability. Boy thats just what I have been saying and we have no acoutibility in alta just blame the feds not that they dont deserve it but the voters in alta has no right to throw stones.
                And yes I have kids working in alta unfortunatly not in the oil patch so yes they are subsidizing the oil workers .
                comsultants 1000/1200 per day plus exp
                battery operators 5/800 per day
                land men truck drivers, operators, pick and shovel crews, all of these are grosley over paid just because this govmt gives OUR oil away not the P>C> s oil they couldnt run a popsicle stand without mega bucks and still all you do is point out the feds . I recall a statement of long ago Get your own house in order before you run someone elses. So why dont you try that and see what happens.

Comment

What in heavens name have we EARNED in terms of the natural resources? They were here long before we were and sadly they won't be here long after we're gone. Seems to me that we are exploiting them and then crying foul because we don't get to keep everything. We are very fortunate to have what we have here in Alberta.

For every report that you have on separation, there is likely one for staying together, so that dog don't hunt.

I understand that you (and others) feel like we have been mistreated. I just don't happen to agree with it. When you have more, you pay more isn't that the way it works?

Comment

Horse; never have you read anything that I have posted that praised your liberal premier and if you want to start a movement to expose the waste and corruption in Alberta I'm all for it!!

Cakado; I have pointed this out to you before. If you think that Alberta's properity is ONLY the result of the exploration of its resourses then please explain Venezuala and a host of other countries and yes even my province where there are also vast resourses??

Comment

Horse: Somehow you are down on the oil industry and I don't know why? You seem to think all the people involved in producing oil and gas in Alberta are overpaid? The fact is this: Any of these people could go to Alaska or Saudi Arabia, or the North Sea and probably make a hell of a lot more...so they aren't overpaid...they are just making the same kind of money(or less) than every other country.It's called supply and demand?
                      Linda: How have we "earned" this resource? Well let me try to answer that: When oil and gas was first discovered here it was considered a pretty risky business. The eastern bankers/businessmen wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole! It took Alberta entrepreneurs(as well as a lot of Americans) to get out there and turn it into an industry! We should never forget that before the sixties we were a have not province and only through our own efforts did we pull ourselves up by the bootstraps! We got no help from the blood suckers in Ottawa/Toronto?Montreal! Maybe we should all read the story of the little red hen?
                      On top of that look at what oil and gas is: It is a resource, no different than the land? Our anscestors paid a heavy price to settle this land and turn it into a productive place to live and work? Now I'm not just too sure of your political beliefs on this, but I believe a person should have the right to pass their property onto their offspring? But if you buy into my beliefs then we have a "birth right"
                      to own this property? So I believe that my mineral rights are mine...bought and paid for by my anscestors? Now that does not mean I should piss them away, (in my view I am the keeper of the land/resources), but without a doubt that should be up to me?
                      I always get a little uneasy when people start to suggest that we should be more open to sharing our bounty with other provinces! I'm all for sharing but to what end? So they can use that money to keep being decadent and lazy? So they can use that money to subsidize our competition in other industries? Isn't this exactly what has happened in Quebec?
                      Steven Harper said it very well when he told the old boys down east...Get off your duffs and help yourselves(and incidently God told Job, in the bible)! Welfare without any strings attached is a terrible thing?

Comment

Cowman, your explanation does make some sense. Where I come from on this issue is that we have exploited - not explored - what was here, we are only borrowing the resources that the land has to offer and we should be leaving it in a better state than what we found it.

The land reclamation process after the oil and gas companies have been in is a joke, it's not enforced and with the amount of money that is made from these natural resources, will it ever be taken seriously?

Today of all days, we should be grateful for what we have instead of wanting more and grateful to those that gave their lives so that we could sit back and say we don't have it all.

Comment

Using the term "exploit" betrays your bias, sounds like the NDP mentality in my province where we have blocked such development and left it in the ground, scared to death someone might get rich from it and exported our kids instead. The oil and gas industry has UTILIZED” that resource, to the great benefit of all Albertans. Those farms and ranches that have had activity on their land have enjoyed a direct benefit and without such would not be viable. Some even use the funds to invest in Saskatchewan and many other ares of the ecomomy.Thank God.

Cakado your view seems very shallow! I am sure if you tried you would find that the economic spin off impact of the oil and gas sector is far beyond anthing you can imagine, the spin off investments reaching into areas that would surprise even you.

Your view and others seems to be that the only reason for Albertan prosperity is oil and gas. I have asked you to explain Venezuala...with great natural resorces, or how about Japan with little in the way of natural resorces. Come on take a stab at it.

One other thing...
                          "necessity is the mother of invention" and when the need, real need, for alternate means of propulsion and heat etc. become relevent believe me it will become a reality. Not every thing is doom and gloom.

Comment

I would say that I'm surprised at the judgments and what is assumed to be known about myself or anyone else who does not subscribe to some of the views espoused here or the writings of Mr. Byfield.

All I know for sure is that I see it one way - you see it another and neither of us is wrong. I have said that I understand where you are coming from, I just don't happen to agree with it. Understanding does not mean agreement.

Nuff said.

Comment

Linda: I won't try to defend some of the things the Klein government has let the oil companies get away with in regards to the environment. I think you and I are in agreement that lease cleanups/water injection etc. are a scandal...that will probably come back to haunt us!
                              If I could mention the most important thing the oil and gas industry has given us, beyond the cash, it is this: The ability to realize that we can seize opportunities and have successful businesses without having to rely on a government? Right now there a lot of ex-farmers realizing they can have a very good life without always crying for money from the federal government!
                              A prime example: Mid forties ex-Saskatchewan farmer who is hauling water from my water hole right now! Started out working for someone else, now he has six trucks working and is busy as a bee! Told me he makes more money in one month than he used to make in a year on his 2100 acre farm!
                              This is the real "Alberta Advantage"! It lets you be all you can or want to be.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...