• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R-CALF cont'd

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R-CALF cont'd

Mr. Stout. I have been catching up on some of the posts on this forum, having been away for awhile and couldn't believe that our regulars let the following statement slip by without comment.

The Canadian Cattlemen's Association met this summer with the NCBA "to further develop a joint strategy to accelerate the opening of the border to live cattle." In view of the fact that all international health organizations agree that Canada has not complied with basic standards relative to the control and elimination of BSE from their herd, and that Canada remains a high-risk country for BSE, one has to wonder why the NCBA would be in such a hurry to reopen the border.

I would challenge you to back up this statement with fact. My understanding is that both US and Canada have 'identical' OIE rating and are considered minimal risk and in addition, follow the same guidelines with the exception that Canada's traceback capability is light years ahead of the US.

In an otherwise well articulated and interesting article, this kind of reporting is what fuels the animosity against RCALF and unfortunately extends towards Americans that allow this kind of diatribe to continue.

pandiana there is a lot of gray areas in this article ,but I think two things make his point #1 all your,mine export markets are gone.#2 a canadian cow that tested positive for BSE found its way into cattle feed,thats NOT GOING AWAY...good luck

Comment

Stout Haymaker,
      You forgot one.
      #3. The US cow with BSE was sold to consumers...

Comment

stout i've looked at the r-calf usa website and seen the history, etc. but i haven't found the answer to this question: how are officers and directors of r-calf selected? do you have regular nominations and elections or how does it go? american producers think r-calf would be a good thing for canada and am just wondering how your organization is constituted.

Comment

Stout Haymaker,
          Or what was the number that Country Canada found in the USDA records? Something like 486 head of suspect cattle exhibitting nervous system disorder signs but not tested...

Comment

Background on rendered Canadian BSE cow
            Tuesday, October 5, 2004, 2:45 PM

by John Perkins

The Canadian cow infected with BSE that more than likely have made it into the livestock feed chain has had an interesting journey. In January 2003, when the cow was slaughtered, samples from it tested positive for BSE. Samples were sent to the United Kingdom for final analysis and the results didn't return until May 2003. Between January and May, parts of the cow were rendered for livestock feed, specifically for poultry and swine. Officials blame the rendering on a rush by inspectors to clear a backlog of slaughtered animals, leading to the mistaken marking of the carcass as fit for consumption.

Canada, like the U.S. bans the use of bovine blood, bone meal and meat in livestock feed but the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation in September 2004 learned that there may have been cross-contamination between poultry feed and cattle feed; the results of the investigation were released last week. The CBC and Canadian Food Inspection Agency investigated and found that the feed containing the rendered remains of the BSE cow was shipped to around 1,800 farms, mostly poultry operations. Investigating further, the CBC and CFIA found that on 200 farms, poultry and swine feed had been fed to cattle. Since the investigation began, three farms have been quarantined and 63 cattle have been destroyed.

No new cases of BSE in Canada have been reported but the discovery that giving feed containing bovine blood, bone meal and meat had been to cattle has led to fresh outcry about banning cattle remains completely from livestock feed.

This was the article I was refering to......good luck,HAY MAKER

Comment

cattle annie I keep hearing rumors about this cow could you state some verifiable facts........good luck

Comment

If it's verifiable facts, how about checking out the CFIA website, where they discussed this in 2003?

You know full well this is old news. We've been all over this before. It was dealt with over a year ago, and the story is nothing more that garbage someone dug up on a slow news day.

good luck

Comment

Stout, what is your goal? Is your plan to scare consumers and eliminate all your markets as well? You also want to keep hiding the fact that the USDA has had poor practices, and they too could be facing disaster because of the consequences caused by groups likeyourself? Do you not think the US will ever find a BSE case, or will they be able to cover it up well enough, but still possibly face the same backlash as Japan?
                  All I want to say, is try thinking long term some time. The sooner you do, the better chance you have surviving, we have lots of long term initiatives that look promising here! Good Luck

Comment

jensend.........stout i've looked at the r-calf usa website and seen the history, etc. but i haven't found the answer to this question: how are officers and directors of r-calf selected? do you have regular nominations and elections or how does it go? american producers think r-calf would be a good thing for canada and am just wondering how your organization is constituted..............answer
                    First let me say r calf is a young organazation,that is agreeable to change as needed,the US is divided into ten regions,members in their region nominate and vote their choice for a director,then the directors,nominate ,vote their choice for president,not real sure of the term limits.I will see if I can find a copy of the bylaws if you are that interested ........good luck

Comment

cattleman......Stout, what is your goal?My answer cattle man is plain and simple,PACKER CONTROL,I dont give a damn about BSE never thought it should be an issuse........good luck

Comment

I see that is clearly the issue in the Perkins Article YOU posted. I hope you are having fun being annoying. May the bad stereotype grow stronger!!!

Comment

cattle man do you see a link between the Perkins article,bse,border,and no packer laws?as a matter of fact, not only are there no packer laws ,there is no desire for them.....good luck

Comment

Stout when you and your colleagues in the cattle business in the US realize that the canadian cattleman is not your enemy, maybe RCALF will settle down and decide to work with the Canadian industry instead of trying to grind it into the ground.
                            The folks that are being hurt in this dumb border skirmish are had working folks all across Canada that are trying to make a living in the cattle business, and up until May 20th were able to weather one storm after the other and still get by.
                            ONE DUMB COW that any self respecting producer would have never hauled to town, has brought our industry to its knees.
                            I just came from our Auction Barn and it is tough watching people that are getting desparate. Spending your idle time sending snide messages doesn't help those folks one bit, and likely is not representative of the average cattle producer in the US, who like our folks just want to make a living !!!

Comment

emrald 1 said.....Spending your idle time sending snide messages doesn't help those folks one bit, and likely is not representative of the average cattle producer in the US, who like our folks just want to make a living !!!........
                              My reply is..... the fact that you think IM trying to be snide leaves me wondering and thinking,why bother......good luck......ps I dont have idle time the fact of the matter is canada needs some PACKER LAWS

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.