• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peaceniks's price

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peaceniks's price

Fri, October 15, 2004

Peacenik's price

By LINK BYFIELD

It will be some time before we hear what caused the submarine fire on HMCS Chicoutimi that killed Lieut. Chris Saunders, 32, father of two young kids.

All this week, Canadians have voiced sympathy for his widow and outrage at the federal government.

We can say that Chris Saunders died for his country, but we don't actually believe it.

Given Ottawa's perennial defence bumbling, we have to presume he died from the cheapskate incompetence of our own government.

Ottawa equips our soldiers, sailors and airmen with junk, and they die trying to make it work -- under-protected armoured vehicles, wrong-coloured uniforms, 40-year-old Sea Kings, out-of-date fighter jets, leaky submarines -- the story is forever the same.

At the same time, the feds spend billions every year for whole armies of slackers all over the country to do nothing and they call it "compassion."

The disabled submarine was purchased second-hand with three others from the Royal Navy in 1998, mostly through a cashless exchange for training facilities for the British Army.

The subs are all more than 10 years old.

That's three decades younger than our flying-coffin Sea Kings, but all four have reportedly been plagued by electrical malfunction, leaks and rust.

Not good enough for Britain, but good enough for Canada.

Good enough for Chris Saunders.

The Chicoutimi was cruising along at 20 knots on its first Canadian voyage, three days out from Scotland and bound for the naval base at Halifax.

The crippling electrical fire forced her to surface in heavy seas far off the northwest coast of Ireland.

Three injured crewmen were evacuated by British helicopters to Ireland the next day.

Saunders died, the other two are recovering.

Meanwhile, the remaining 54 crew were left to sit out a north Atlantic gale, helplessly drifting and rolling in 25-ft. waves for four or five days, too disabled to submerge, and with seas too rough to attach a rescue line from a British tug.

In one attempt, a crewman was swept overboard, but was saved by a Royal Navy diver.

I wonder what those crewmen thought of their country and their government as the cruel sea bashed and battered their 200-ft. vessel with weather she is supposed to avoid.

Apparently, their sister submarine, HMCS Corner Brook, had experienced a similar fire. They will have known that.

I wonder what they thought.

I know what I thought.

This is Trudeau's Canada.

This is peacenik Canada, which sneers at Uncle Sam while relying on him for defence.

Instead of a real navy, we have a pretend navy, in which the main hazard to our ships is that our obsolete helicopters will fall on them.

You might recall that on Feb. 27, 2003, bound for the Persian Gulf war zone, a Sea King was lifting off from the destroyer HMCS Iroquois, but seconds later crashed back on the deck.

Two men were injured, bringing the Sea King casualty count to 111. The Sea King death count, mercifully, remained at 10.

They blamed that one on pilot and mechanical service error -- just as when someone is stabbed to death you can blame it on heart failure.

The real cause of our ongoing military embarrassments is the utter contempt of federal governments, especially Liberal ones, since the 1960s for national defence.

For the past four decades, Ottawa has largely abandoned its constitutional duty to defend us, while it invaded the provincial sphere with loser entitlement programs such as the Canada Pension Plan, employment insurance, the Canada Health Act, welfare funding and regional job creation.

This whole approach is backwards.

In an always-hostile world, a national government should maintain as large and credible a defence deterrent as possible, while local governments keep their own internal social entitlements as small and affordable as is reasonable.

It's a question of balance.

The vain death at sea of Lieut. Saunders is more sad evidence that ours is woefully out of whack.

I see the Canadian armed forces budget is in that $13 billion dollar range. How much do you think it should be?
    The fact is do we really need a beefed up military? Who are they protecting us from?
    Did we really need those submarines in the first place? For what?
    The fact is a peacetime army is just that... a peacetime army! They don't win wars. The citizen soldier does! In WW2 very few of the peacetime army ever made it overseas!
    Production of war materials can be cranked up almost immediately if the will(and money) is there! Again witness the last war?
    I don't doubt for a minute there is waste and inefficiency in the armed forces, but throwing more money at the problem is not the solution? And I don't think we should be committing our money and our army to cleaning up Americas problems...problems they brought upon themselves by pushing their noses in other peoples business.

Comment

I took ivbinconned up on the idea of going to the Citizens Centre for Democracy and Freedom.

It's kind of ironic that the mission statement for the centre presents their focus on honest government, as being self policing, open, RESPECTFUL, and impartial, when their candidate for the position of Senator for Canada talks about "loser" entitlements such as CPP, employment insurance, regional job creation, the Canadian Health System, etc. etc.

There is something out of whack that's for sure. Especially when on the corruption forum issue raised by another rant from the Centre is wondering how to determine honesty in caandidates.

The inconsistencies between the Centres mission Statement and their candidates feelings would give me pause. Ivbinconned, if you are supporting this guy maybe you are still being conned?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...