• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There's money in food!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's money in food!

Besides my cattle farming and oil service business I have another little joint venture that is just getting going.
    I have a partner who does just about all the work. A small market type garden, the chokecherries and a concession stand. I put up the working capital, equipment and land/facilities and she does all the work!
    Now my son basically takes care of the farm end of things and quite a bit of the oil service business,so I have some time to pursue a few deals like this. I've always had a very good well equipped shop.
    Anyway yesterday was the first time my partner had the concession stand out at a cultural event. I built the whole thing from scratch and quite frankly it is a peach! It passed the health region inspection only a couple of days ago, which is onerous to say the least! Anyway by shopping around for components and doing all the work myself, I got it build and licensed for about $2500.
    Yesterday it netted $980! After paying a business fee for the weekend, a kid working, and the food bill! We'll see how it does today!

cowman...glad to see that someone is making a some dough off an Ag product... looks like us young farmers will have to figure out something other than cattle or grain to make a living off the land...keep us up to date on your ventures I find it interesting...

Comment

Hair on you Cowman!!!Now if this continues you must realize that you will have to form a co-op and include the rest of us ! ! Errr,isn`t that the `Canadian` way???????

Comment

Glad to hear you've had an "aha" moment cowman and can see that the value isn't in the chokecherries themselves...but rather the value is in what you do with them ie the further processing. Growing what you can sell is much easier than selling what you grow.

Comment

Glad to hear you've had an "aha" moment cowman and can see that the value isn't in the chokecherries themselves...but rather the value is in what you do with them ie the further processing. Growing what you can sell is much easier than selling what you grow.

Comment

Well she cleared $875 yesterday! Which was pretty good considering the generator went down and I had to rush in another one.
            I was frankly pretty sceptical when she ran the idea of a food concession by me...little did I realize the money in food. The hoops you have to jump through to get a health permit are truly amazing. A seperate building from your house with washroom, three sinks, freezer, countertops and sterilizing materials up to snuff as well as water tests etc.etc.
            I had a detached two car garage that had water and heat so it worked out with some modifications(the plan is to eventually get it licensed as a commercial kitchen). She also has managed to move a fair bit of vegetables around to her friends and family. Has about an acre in a garden and occasionally I'll help her do a little weeding!
            Now here is a girl who worked for me quite a few years ago when she was still in school. Life caught her up and she ended up with a bum who gave her a baby and a lot of grief. She struggled along on welfare and crappy jobs.
            So today she is a single mom with a 5 year old, but wants to get ahead and is willing to work to do it! She has a ton of gumption she just needed someone to give her a chance!

Comment

Oh and by the way Linda: I'm still a lttle sceptical about the chokecherries...and the rasberrys(1000 canes).. but she thinks we can rock and roll on syrup! I've got to admit the stuff she makes is dynamite! But will it sell?
              Well, we'll see? Don't have to worry about it for a couple of years?
              She does supply all the lettuce, onions, (very soon tomatoes) etc. for the concession stand from the garden so
              that is an added bonus!(I'm thinking why not supply the beef patties?)
              I'm actually feeling really excited about this whole deal! It's nice to know that maybe there is some sort of future in agriculture...even if it is very radical to the day when we just raised beef and grain!

Comment

This is so good in so many ways. First and foremost, everyone and I mean everyone, makes a mistake or two along the way. Most of us are determined to learn from our mistakes and better ourselves, which includes taking a hand up from others from time to time.

It is a step in the right direction and certainly is something different from what has been done and thought of in the past, but I think that many are now beginning to recognize that we need to do things differently today and into the future.

Listen to what your customers are telling you and do what you need to in order to provide what they are asking for.

It's great that this young lady is willing to work and I'm sure it gives her a sense of accomplishment to see sales going so well and to have you pleased also.

If we can get you to believe, cowman, just think of the possibilities that are in front of us. Best of luck in your venture!

Comment

My partner has continued to do very well with this concession stand...so much so that I intend to build another for our use! The tricky part of all this is getting the darned thing into profitable events. You would not believe the garbage you have to go through! My partner has a hard time with the concept of having to grease some palms to get in and get a favorable location! Luckily, I understand the concept very well! That is how just about everything in the oil patch works! For a tea totaller I buy more whisky than just about anyone around!
                  A nice little spin-off to this venture is that now a major charity wants me to build them an identical unit! They will use it only in Edmonton and surrounding areas so will not be competing. I've built in a tidy profit in the price and am awaiting their acceptance of the proposal. Delivery would be in the early spring of 2005.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...