• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Isn't it strange??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't it strange??

The last few days every time I turn on a radio or tv I seem to be hearing the same thing. Yesterday morning I woke to hear a news report about the illustrious premier to the west of me, tee totaller Ralph, getting worked up over the fact that reporters were questioning him over the possibility that the packers were ripping off consumers and that his province's aid program might not have helped producers at all. Does that mean that the accusation was right? Does that in turn mean that all along as some of us had suspected he like most other politicians in this country don't really give a dam about farmers? Does it mean that the program was in fact designed to help packers because they in turn make bigger political contributions? As some of the other highly respected economists and analysts have stated the packing industry is entitled to a reasonable return on investment. Isn't it strange that not one politician or analyst in this country willl come out and state thatt the farmer in this country should be entitled to the same chance. I guess we as farmers, not knowing in this day and age if I am even qualified as a viable operation because we only have fifty cows and see four thousand acres, are not that important are we?

This was taken off the news here on agri-ville:

Alta's Ralph Klein said frustration led to outburst over BSE questions
    [Printer Friendly Version] [E-mail a Friend This Article]

EDMONTON (CP) - Premier Ralph Klein's uncharacteristic outburst over calls for a probe into Alberta's mad cow aid package had people scratching their heads Thursday.

The usually media-savvy Klein stormed out of a news conference Wednesday when asked about his government's refusal to allow the auditor general to review Alberta's $400-million BSE aid package. "I've had enough of this crap," Klein said as he walked away from the TV cameras.

He told reporters Thursday that he was frustrated about the heat his government was taking over the subsidy program.

"What angers me and frustrates me is we put this $400 million in and as I said before . . . it almost drove me to tears because this money could have been spent on schools and hospitals and other programs," he said. "We went to great lengths to consult with industry to devise a program that would allow them to survive and the end result is we get criticized for trying to do some good.

"That was the frustration I felt yesterday, that I feel from time to time."

He said he still enjoys his job, but that the news conference Wednesday had turned into a shouting match so he left.

His outburst had been the top story on TV and radio newscasts and a hot topic around office water coolers Thursday.

"What the hell is going on? I am just shocked," said Keith Brownsey, a political scientist at Calgary's Mount Royal College.

"I find this behaviour unusual. He just cannot take any sort of criticism or any query that would bring into doubt the decisions of his government."

Some beef producers, consumers and opposition politicians want to know how much of the mad cow aid cash has flowed to needy ranchers and how much went to the big meat packing companies.

Others want to know why store prices for beef haven't dropped when producers are receiving much less for their cattle as a result of the mad cow disease crisis.

A caller to Dave Rutherford's provincewide radio show Thursday said she wants Klein to answer questions about the mad cow aid program.

"We should have an inquiry because I want to know where my tax dollars went and why they didn't go the small ranchers," said a caller named Eileen.

Even right wing Social Credit leader Lavern Ahlstrom waded into the fray Thursday, applauding the left wing New Democrats for attempting to pass a motion to ask the auditor general to probe the program.

That motion was blocked by the government majority on the public accounts committee.

Ahlstrom, a rancher, said he hasn't received any of the subsidy and neither have other ranchers he knows.

"As an actual producer, you got nothing," said Ahlstrom, whose party hasn't had a seat in the legislature since 1979.

"Where did the money go? That's what we're asking."

The issue sparked another raucous question period Thursday with Klein threatening to call an election "tomorrow" to wipe out the tiny nine-member opposition.

He also defended finance minister Pat Nelson for calling a member of the opposition an "idiot" for questioning the government's handling of the crisis.

"It wasn't an intelligent question," Klein told reporters later. "It was idiotic to suggest we instilled in the farmers this sense of confidence and euphoria because we talked about the border opening (to live cattle)."

Nelson, at the urging of the Speaker, apologized to the House for the remarks Thursday, saying she was frustrated.

Klein has rejected calls for an inquiry into the program, saying he is confident that it was money well spent.

But New Democrat Brian Mason continued to press Klein to direct the auditor general to conduct a special investigation to determine the effectiveness of the program.

© Copyright 2004 The Canadian Press

Too bad if they're frustrated - deal with it and not by storming off or making comments that you then brush off because you were frustrated. What about producers who are frustrated to the absolute end of their tethers?

I also think it appalling that Klein hold up a sign with the competition bureau number on it, or threatening to wipe out the minority. Perhaps King Ralph should be a little bit afraid for his empire - people are tired of him and the party antics.

If the money didn't flow directly to the packers, it went through the feedlots that are "owned" by the packers. Who are they trying to kid?

Albertans should and do have a right to question the bail out package and what happened to it. I feel we should be encouraging all of our urban friends to start questioning it. I'm glad to see that there are non-producers taking an interest in this.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...