• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kids Aren't Interested in My Stories Anymore

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids Aren't Interested in My Stories Anymore

I'm an oldtimer and whenever I talk about the 'Old Days' my kids just sigh and walk away.

I would consider myself more of a 'middleager' than and 'oldtimer'. From my point of view I know the older I get and the older my parents get the more interested I am in their stories. I realize that they aren't going to be around forever to tell these stories and there's alot I would like to know before it is lost. The Heritage Fairs that have been held in our schools the last few years have also done alot to raise young people's interest in and appreciation of their family and community history.

Comment

A wonderful energy is created when I invite young children to visit the Sr's Home with me. Sometimes they take teddy bears, and kids and adults tell stories about what their bear, or doll, or favorite stuffed animal means to them. Seniors reach deep for memories they have to share that the children will understand.

Comment

My father in law also tells a lot of stories about his younger years as did his father. Every child, grand child and great grand child in the family who doesn't want to eat their supper has heard about the time my father in laws dad forgot his lunch at the bottom of Bricks hill on the Peace River and he had to go hungry as he sat there watching the horses eat. My father in Law will start out by saying 'Dad sure would have enjoyed that at the top of Brick's Hill' and would then go on with the story. I think that will be one of the stories that will be passed down for many generations because it was repeated so much. Keep telling the stories and ignore their attempts to escape. The more often you tell the stories the more likely the younger generations are to repeat them to their children. I never did listen to my fathers tales too much but I find that I am now the one who seems to be remembering them. Remember that your kids and grand kids are learning what it was like back then and learn things like you having to walk 5 miles to school every day, up hill both ways, through a blinding snow storm! They will remember and will pass it on!

Comment

But on the other hand Reno, they have heard all about the time you roped the Brontosaurus at least a hundred time.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...
          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.