• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's it like?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's it like?

Hi Folks,
    I'm a farm boy from Michigan looking to move to Saskatchewan. The wide open spaces and inexpensive farmland are enticing, also I'm tired of the US govt jerking the "smaller" farmers around. Can anyone tell me about your local farming practices, from an actual grower's standpoint? I know you grow a lot of small grains. Does anyone grow dry beans or corn? How long is your growing season?

Hi kam. I am from a part of sask a little north of Regina. The country itself is great where I am. I have grown up on the same farm and fify years later still here. Right where I am it partly mixed farming. Some really good land and some poorer land with a lot of waste. We tend to be short of rain and that is one of the greatest limiting factors. If you are going to move here because you are tired of the little guy getting jerked around, think again, you will be surprised to know that small is not great up here. It seems the bigger the better. We grow lentils, peas, wheat and oats on our farm. There is not enough heat units to grow grain corn here, and don't know of anybody close growing corn for silage. I would advise you to do a whole bunch of research before you move up here lock stock and barrel. I think you will find with the lack of subsidies up here it is maybe even tougher to make a living. Sorry I can't be more optimistic, don't want to lead you astray. In spite of everything I still love the country itself.

Comment

Go for it Kam! It is not a bed of roses but land is a bargain, especially with your American buck! The government(both federal and provincial) is bizarre but you can work around that!
      I suspect the winters might be colder but it is a dry cold and therefore not all that bad, unless the wind is blowing and then it can be cold!
      I'm not from Saskatchewan but we are very similar in climate here in central Alberta. And I can tell you that the people from Saskatchewan are the best in the world...I know this because most of them live in Alberta now!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...