• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sprayer tracks

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sprayer tracks

I'm spraying my own fungicide this year and have a couple fields that are horribly shaped. Lots of overlap and tracks. Should I trample the hell out of it or skip some wedges?

Your losing it either way.
    But it gives you check strips by leaving it.

If you are preharvestong with the sprayer....I think you know what happens anyway.

Comment

fungicide is often barely a breakeven venture in the first place so yes definitely leave those pie pieces!

They make excellent check strips.

Comment

Straight only, leave wedges for checks.

380 tires = 30 inches On 120 feet = 2%

We always spray lentils, results are well know and proven. I wonder how many of the "new acres" are being treated?

Cereal crops, on a year like this, no question, spray. It's for flag leaf health/yield plus fusarium/grade/yield

Canola results of spraying haven't been very easy, the need to or predictability are variable.
        - if you straight cut, desication is required for harvest ease, weed control and safe storage, we follow the same tracks
        - air plane would be nice as well, but$
        - I remember 2012 very vividly, 50 % loss, say $$200 acre ? Humidity drove the disease pressures, not the rain.
        We have had screritinia for 25 years, since we started growing canola, just accepted the losses, and impossible to predict then. Now every crop is a host except cereals, as well previous crop residues host "mushrooms". Yes spores generated from soil "mushrooms" but spread by the wind from neighbours who don't use contains, makes that application questionable? Call them nano spores = trillions spread by wind, hosted every where.

Comment

leave them. we dont do headlands either . if you have a good set of dividers you wont lose the stuff when you dessicate but the tramped stuff is toast . those wedges on the headlands make for good conversation pieces when it works good and you can see them from the road !

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
            fungicide is often barely a breakeven venture in the first place so yes definitely leave those pie pieces!

They make excellent check strips.
            Obviously you haven't done enough trials or haven't had a good enough crop to know how it can pay.
            Last edited by HappyFarmer; Jul 3, 2016, 14:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post
              Straight only, leave wedges for checks.

380 tires = 30 inches On 120 feet = 2%

We always spray lentils, results are well know and proven. I wonder how many of the "new acres" are being treated?

Cereal crops, on a year like this, no question, spray. It's for flag leaf health/yield plus fusarium/grade/yield

Canola results of spraying haven't been very easy, the need to or predictability are variable.
              - if you straight cut, desication is required for harvest ease, weed control and safe storage, we follow the same tracks
              - air plane would be nice as well, but$
              - I remember 2012 very vividly, 50 % loss, say $$200 acre ? Humidity drove the disease pressures, not the rain.
              We have had screritinia for 25 years, since we started growing canola, just accepted the losses, and impossible to predict then. Now every crop is a host except cereals, as well previous crop residues host "mushrooms". Yes spores generated from soil "mushrooms" but spread by the wind from neighbours who don't use contains, makes that application questionable? Call them nano spores = trillions spread by wind, hosted every where.
              I don't grow lentils so can't comment...but could not agree more on everything else.

Canola, it's always the fear of what I could loose, especially when the crop looks as good as it does.
              Last edited by HappyFarmer; Jul 3, 2016, 14:13.

Comment

Now folks....dont take this as bitching....but with the technology of drills today maybe the could invent a system to set the wheel tracks with the drill. Therefore not wasting the seed.

There has to merit in that idea?

Comment

Yes they do that spacing with seed and fert. It's called controlled traffic.

We spray on 120 foot spacing, drills always similar tracks, truck drive all over the place. In warm climates its about compaction and water infiltration management. No able to manage that yet, but will better in the future, plus we have winter and frost heaving to reduce compaction.

Comment

Agree 100% with rare earth and happy. 2012 sprayed a 320 acre field canola with proline, decis. Left 20 acres as a check. Stood out like a postage stamp in the field all thru flowering. Harvest results were 56 on treated and 40 on the untreated. Have had very few positive results in lentils other than piece of mind. Cereals are huge paybacks in this area. Last year prosaro treated durum over 10 bpa better and 2 grades higher. It can be hit and miss but am doing it all this year as conditions are like a greenhouse after 13.5" rain in last 6 weeks.

Comment

We leave checks strips with fungicide often.

We find the benefit in pulses is better harvest ability. By the time we get to the last lentil field any unsprayed checkstrips are flat on the ground compared to sprayed crop.

Comment

Surprised by your comments about fungicides in lentils JD. Have sprayed fungicides in lentils for years and have always seen a net benefit and since the introduction of priaxor, results have been astounding. Perhaps our disease pressure in lentils has been higher to begin with. Fungicide in canola on the other hand for the past four years has given us less then impressive results compared to untreated check strips. Durum treated at flowering has given us a four year average 7 bushel yield gain as well as at least a grade better most years.

Comment

I would think my dirt drys off quicker on top than your clay does down there. Could be the difference. I wouldn't say there isn't a net benefit as I feel it always pays to keep stem health better for stand ability. As far as straight yield benefits we usually see very little if any. Durum and canola is a whole different story as I have stated. This is where we have made some good return

Comment

Happyfarmer, yes, obviously.

Comment

Never see the same crop for 4 or 5 years on the same land, so no, fungicides after all the costs including trucking extra grain calculated in is often a wash.

Now the ding bats doing 2 year or 2 in 3 year rotations, they may see a much better return. You know, the good farmers.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...