• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Root Rot in Peas!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Root Rot in Peas!

Our end to growing peas is starting with this crop. We have been one of the longest growers of the crop in our area. Our rotation is every three to four years only on real good fields. We use a seed treatment and don't spray the pea seed. Most years we burn the wheat stubble before seeding this year we didn't. Big fricking problem. I would say three quarters are nice and will make a decent crop. They have had way less rain. Then their is the other three. Yellow in water runs and if a spring is on a side hill its yellow a long way down. Yellow in flats etc. But the last quarter is sick from one end to the other. Not sure what to do with that. Hit with disease full rate plus AMS Or try a phos fertilizer micro with zink. or just walk away and call it a year.
    Also has any one used that new snake oil you added to your inoculant that was suppose to help with root rot problems. I know of one half section but just remembered that it was just purchased and never had peas on it.
    Peas the crop that wont like wet feet. Canola is also in that group.

we were like that for years here , but can't buy a rain here anymore . probably when it does come it will be the whole years rain in an hour . these 2 hot windy days coming will sure be hard on these crops . that was why we quit growing peas for many years , it was just too wet here. we found the best "wet feet crops" were oats, flax, canary and wheat , in that order , and made sure to seed one of those crops on wettest quarters . too wet , is just depressing and costly ! hope it dries up for you soon

Comment

Maybe the big picture is if there will be a long enough stretch for a harvesting period without rain. (Fully realizing that there are areas and farmers who short of rain; but they might be better off in the long run)

The way its setting up with alfalfa crops and their weevil worms; and rain of .3 to .75 inch shots every 3 days; it makes you put some faith in Drew Lerner's repeat of his Farm Progress Show presentation. He says peas, durum and lentils will have continuing harvest problems.

Drew says moisture won't straighten out for much of prairies until normal soybean harvest period.

Comment

Oh yay!!!
        Last edited by farmaholic; Jun 22, 2016, 07:25.

Comment

At least one chemical rep says "8 year pea rotation" in such instances

Comment

We never grew peas but from the sounds of it, they are pretty tempermental. The Pea crops around Regina that I've seen are not pretty to say the least. I thought peas liked moisture but I guess not so much.

Comment

Geese were the final straw for peas for us. Now they eat everything else but at least they don't
              pack your crop into the ground 2 weeks before harvest.
              Likely had root rot too and didn't know it.
              It would be good to have a legume in the rotation. Maybe soybeans some day, then we can throw on MORE glyphosate!

Comment

No substitute for dry weather. My canola was looking quite sick a couple of weeks ago and now we had a couple of weeks of dryer weather it is has improved a lot. Pea crops in the area are struggling unless very well drained land. Not many pea fields make it above 40 this year. Better drought than flood.

Comment

If this rain keeps up there won't be a lentil or pea crop around. I'm sure after last nights storm there were some huge amounts in these areas. We had 4 tenths.

Comment

Where was the rain yesterday?

Comment

2/3 of an inch last night, only half of what they forecast but I know we weren't under the red and yellow radar colours, so I'm sure others might have hit the forecast amounts.

The yellow spots in the pea fields are growing and growing, everyone is bitching, add on the rain last night and forecast again on the weekend means there's no turning this ship around for at least two weeks. How large are those yellow spots going to be by then. Peas are looking more and more to be a disaster this year. Like SF3 says, might be the last of the peas for some time.

Started the spring dry and hopeful, 8 inches later, cutting ruts again trying to finish up spraying and watching the crop disease away.

Comment

Yup pretty much the same here.

Peas had a good start and was willing to spend on them but it's past that now.

Gotta cut the losses.

Comment

Watch all the elevators drop bids for fall because it's only a few areas with yellow peas! Yea it's there repa who are walking fields and seeing the loss add up! We have a 10 on peas will be available if a hail storm gets just one healthy half of peas!

Comment

Peas can go to 50 a bushel next year I'm still not growing! Maybe at 75 but not 50.

Comment

SASKFARMER3
                              JUN 22, 2016 | 09:00 14
                              Peas can go to 50 a bushel next year I'm still not growing! Maybe at 75 but not 50.

Spit a bit of coffee on the ipad when I read that.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.