• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fertilizing sick peas

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fertilizing sick peas

Odyssey kicked the crap out of my peas and in their weakened state mild root rot is showing up. Nodules look sick and maybe dead. Crop was yellow and is starting to recover to a pale green. Peas 7-8 nodes.

I am thinking new nodules will form, but it is going to take a while for the N factory to get going. Wondering if anyone has broadcast urea on sick peas? Fungicide? Ground has dried out and growing conditions are good.

Headline humalite and a foliar like releaf plus a gallon or 2 of ams.

Not cheap. Should put the releaf in with the odessey... imho anyway and my opinion is worth $0.01

I had too much beer tonight humph

Comment

Try some straight Ligno humate on some $3.50 / AC . Might work just as well - much cheaper . At this stage maybe just driving root health will be all that is needed .
      One other product that may work , but I Duno for sure is eezegrow , it's a plant hormone

Comment

What ever happened to the old phloem and xylem system where these two plant tissues move nutrients and what ever up and down the plants. Or are roots only a one way street? Seems I can't remember my grade 10 biology!!

What ever the case it seems Mother Nature ultimately rules...looks like rain here in the June Monsoon forecast for this weekend, again, maybe it will change. Saying "rain" for Sunday and a chance for Saturday.

What a powerless way to make a living. Had .17 of an inch last night.
        Last edited by farmaholic; Jun 22, 2016, 06:56.

Comment

Seems no one is pushing those "unconventional" products around here.

Maybe there needs to be a better understanding of plants physiology and some of the unconventional products and practices might be adopted more readily.

How much of what would need to be applied to encourage and promote better root health?

What kind of containers does ligno humate come in and where do you get it?

Bayer has some sort of foliar phos product out.

How can so little make a difference, but then look what how many grams per acre of herbicide can do.

Comment

Dig up a few plants good ones, maybe and yellow. You will notice the yellow ones very few nodules, very few roots with no fine roots compared to the good healthy ones.

I don't think the yellow ones will come back as they are very damaged. We will learn more after this year as all water runs and pot holes have yellowed plants, -5% of total acres?

Comment

Where do you go to buy ligno humate in Alberta and British Columbia?

Comment

Farma - 1/2 ltr / AC
                Comes in 1000 ltr totes.
                Call Darrel at 204-483-2774 , he will help source you what you may need
                I agree with rare earth - plants with no root system left are toast and will only get worse - those cases don't spend any money , it will be a waste IMO
                The liquid treflan we applied with burn off has supressed the root rot in our fields a lot , only where water was standing before seeding is where I can find any root rot .
                Learned from the last two years , treflan and very early plant nutrition ( in furrow liquid orthophosphate ) is the only thing that may help supress root rot . There are some new seed treatments but the jury still out.
                Oh - and eliminate herbicide damage , you can't shut down those plants at all.
                But all bets are off no matter if it stays wet / mud

Comment

Very few of the big retailers or Chem company's will even think of endorsing some of theses "unconventional " products . They would not be able to hose you of over priced fungicide .
                  These "unconventional " products interup the money train for them

Comment

There is a good understanding out plant health out there - but it gets past off as snake oil by those who don't understand or line company's who's bottom line is affected by sales of conventional products

Comment

Bang on Furrow, if you are not selling it then it is snake oil and on and on! There is probably actual snake oil out there but I like seeing data on different products to help make decisions. Plant health is huge. We need to understand the relationship between the soil and plant. Getting tired of all the media regarding companies saying our product is better than the other companies. The rack trials were a real eye opener this last year.

Comment

Further to Furrows comment on big companies not endorsing any products that might help fight legume ailments thus hurting their fungicide sales. Talked to a friend of mine and Furrows the other night, over some beers, who is an independent retailer. Said he had a new favorite line, "Mold makes Gold"

Comment

Question for pea growers - last time I grew peas I had almost two sections wiped out with relentless rain. No have quit with peas til it dries up. On these sections I missed spraying a small triangle - maybe 20 square feet in total area. Guess what - those peas stayed healthy, green and were about 10 inches taller. I think the problem is chemical injury which is compounded with excess rain. Anyone else notice this this season?

Comment

My sprayer misses are all healthy looking peas with no root browning, even in the lower spots that were wetter. So no doubt in my mind that the odyssey I sprayed stressed the plants and caused the plants to be weak and the brown roots appeared. Also killed all/most of the nodules.

Unfortunately the unsprayed spots are full of weeds and the yield will be hurt there also, which is why I sprayed my peas in the first place.

Comment

Poor boy - that's exactly were I seen huge difference 2 years ago
                              That lead to my whole rant on peas and the racks pea trials . It was as plain as day what was going on

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.