• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peas going backwards with the excess rain.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peas going backwards with the excess rain.

Well I have always said that crops hate excess water and that is happening again. Heavy rain storms since the may long weekend have recharged ground water to tipping point again. We are looking right now like 2010. Spraying is driving in water around the field and making big ruts to wreck equipment in fall and next year. Excess rain makes disease pressure even more prevalent.
    Last night on drive home I stopped to look at some of our peas. Half on lighter land looks good not excellent but good with only water runs turning yellow or black. Might be ok if rain stops then a Nice flat half that hasn't had the excess rains looks ok from the road but the back side where it is to flat has issues and could be lost.
    Then I head to the flood zone and WTF is all I can say. Only nice green area is the hill top on one side and hill top on other. Yuck. Might be a total loss.
    All peas were had a seed treatment and then sprayed with Viper 8 days ago but excess moisture has hit most nights.

Canada's Big Pea crop might have issues if rain storms like last night continue to give Rain.
    What are others seeing.
    Peas are going backwards fast.

Same with some fields here, just too much rain! When will it stop. Seeing wheat fields turning orange too.

Comment

Our Cereals are so far only dying where water has sat for days or weeks. yellow around and black in centre. It has to stop soon or they will go backwards.

Comment

.21 of an inch last night. There is a chance for another blast tonight. June is monsoon month in Western Canada. Once again, we could have got by without it but at least it wasn't more. Peas are looking pretty good on our farm but there are some in the area that are having difficulty, hope they don't get sick.

Comment

With the chance of more rain forecasted gor tomorrow and the weekend, hope it misses you guys. We are ok right now, lost some low spots when we had 2.5 inches over a week right after seeding. Glad for the moisture though. Peas look good. Noticing some leaf disease in the cereals but it is only on older leaves for now. New growth is good.

Comment

No problems with excess moisture around here. Received a half inch last night which would be the most at one time this spring for many. Crops are looking OK but anywhere that is saline has burnt up and dead. Old hay stands are poor to very poor with newer ones just average to below. Still in the game for now but more rain tomorrow would be welcome.

Comment

Do younger crops come back better after wet period or do more advanced come back better?
              Thinking about seeding dates. If it would make any difference.

Comment

Peas going backwards east of Edm with too much rain. Some fields have gone from a 60 to a 30 already after a good start. Others fields on well drained land still look good. Some land is not seeded due to 8 inches of rain in some areas since May 19.

Comment

wmoebis, my opinion would be that bigger more advanced crop recover better. I've had young canola crops hit with excess rain and they just didn't seem to develop the root systems afterward. Smaller stalk, less branching, shorter blooming period. JMO

Comment

Maybe furrow et al knows of a witch's brew that may help?

Comment

Nope , too much rain is too much. Peas and mud , not much will help

Comment

Amazing pea crops here.

Comment

My peas suck.. To wet .. 7.7" since May 10th .. Nuff said .

Comment

Yikes, I don't think we've had alot more than four inches since the beginning of April. Root rot, mycosphaerella, sclerotinia, fusarium, rust, ruts, anaerobic soils all symptoms of too much rain. As I said before...I'll settle for a drier bias (until it gets too dry, then I'll complain its too dry!!)

Comment

They'll dry out in July. That's not funny, I know.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.