• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone involved with the McDonald's Sustainable Beef project? Any opinions

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone involved with the McDonald's Sustainable Beef project? Any opinions

Just read this story and seems to have built some understanding between McDonald's and the Canadian cattle industry.

http://calgaryherald.com/business/local-business/mcdonalds-unveils-results-of-sustainable-beef-pilot-project-in-canada

After the Earl's pr mess, glad the food industry is trying to reach out to learn where their food comes from.

Anyone have first hand experience on this project?

We have been directly involved and had our operation verified. The indicators and the interview process that was developed is quite robust and covers a lot of ground from animal handling, health protocols, community involvement, environment, farm safety, etc.
    The key indicators are good guidelines, but the individual solutions for your operation are up to yourself. In other words, there are Best Management Practices but how you achieve results is up to you.
    The process took us roughly 1/2 a day and included an onsite visit, tour of handling facilities, etc.
    This is a pilot that is to help determine a pathway for the CCA Verified Sustainable Beef program that is part of the Global Round table for Sustainable Beef initiative.
    We learned a lot from the process and have started implementing some changes in our operation already. The extra set of eyes is pretty good. As a pilot, participation and audit costs were covered by McDonald's. Participants will be grandfathered into the CCA program once it is up an running (target Fall 2017). When their turn comes around for a re-audit they will roll into the audit process under VBP.
    I will try to grab the links to the process and the self-assessment tool and post them here.

Sean

Comment

Glad to hear Sean.
      I hope it works out well.
      Thanks for the info.

Comment

http://www.vsbpilot.ca/index.htm

Comment

http://www.mcdvsb.com/uploads/2/4/9/5/24957525/mcd-final-report.pdf

Comment

looks like just more levels of red tape. People sitting on boards and writing reports. Is the farmer going to gain any extra dollars. Or is it going be sucked up by more admin.

Comment

PF - for now the process is completely up to the producer. Don't do it if you don't want to. I don't think there will be a single dime more paid for cattle from a verified operation if they don't change their marketing. Just because you are verified doesn't make your commodity cattle any more valuable.
              I think there is market potential for those who are going to aggressively pursue markets that desire these attributes. I think in the long term it will be become the standard if not the law of the land, and then it will be a cost, rather than a potential value added feature. How long that takes is anyone's guess.
              Going forward, something of this sort will be required to access premium markets with our cattle.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.