• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaking of machinery costs didnt some one on here..

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of machinery costs didnt some one on here..

Once I think it was a jd or case combine add up all the costs of building a combine from spare parts from a dealer it was mind boggling.
    Maybe it was another site.

I have a really good friend he keeps his sprayer modern never more than about 4 years old his seeder is a flexicoil st820 and his combines 2 of them are I think 30yrs plus. If he needs parts he just goes and buys a whole combine for 4 or 5k. Puts in about 8000 acres. Tractor I think is 16 yr with about 11000 hours

No huge machinery debt not much stress adds parcels of land whenever possible.

Food for thought ps im aware you don't have long growing and harvesting seasons like us here in oz

I agree length of season has a lot to do with the type and age of equipment on our farm.

My brother and I used to have one 34' drill and an old 800 versatile to seed 4,200 acres. Usually seeded for 4 weeks.

Combined with one combine and combined for 7 or 8 weeks. Then we found if we had alittle more invested in equipment we were less likely to have frost or have quality deteriorate in the fall.

We gradually added size and capacity and land and then some comfort.

Personally, I know I could farm with less equipment but I think I have found a decent sawoff between barebones and lavish.

Comment

If you did without in the beginning of your career and finally "arrived", what's wrong with having and working with some comfortable machinery. I focused on paying off land and working with stuff alot of other people wouldn't even consider using or moved on to newer technology. Now that I can afford the new iron I have absolutely no guilt or shame in having and using it. I earned and deserve it, at least I think I do!!

Be safe this spring seeding season, you may get tired of me saying it but let's not lose any fellow farmers this season!!!
      MISSION ZERO!!!!

Comment

I agree length of season has a lot to do with the type and age of equipment on our farm.

My brother and I used to have one 34' drill and an old 800 versatile to seed 4,200 acres. Usually seeded for 4 weeks.

Combined with one combine and combined for 7 or 8 weeks. Then we found if we had alittle more invested in equipment we were less likely to have frost or have quality deteriorate in the fall.

We gradually added size and capacity and land and then some comfort.

Personally, I know I could farm with less equipment but I think I have found a decent sawoff between barebones and lavish.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...
        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.