• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pea seed - not a good situation..

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pea seed - not a good situation..

Pea germ has dropped big time , and Alot of guys fubard with 40 bus/AC contracts .

Stuff that at 90 ish is 60-50 after cleaning . And it's all over

Comment

Another reason not to sell something you don't have yet.

Comment

Apearantly it's a very wide problem - could shake some nerves in the market . There is virtually no yellow peas left let alone good seed

Comment

Cleaned ours Feb 27.

Went on test March 4.

94% Germ.

87% Cold Vigor.

Grown under droughty conditions so disease free.

We should be good, will lose some more germ to handling though, no belts...

Comment

The worst seems to be cleaned the last month or so - again just a heads up .

Comment

Why is this happening? Round Up?

Comment

I have seen this in years past. Was a result of mechanical damage from cleaning plant. Couldn't even tell they were screwed up but germ dropped 30-40% . I find it a little unbelievable that some people still auger them dry into bins and aircarts.

Comment

I agree JD ,you have to carefully pick your seed cleaner(conveyors only) and keep handling it carefully all the way into the cold cold ground

Comment

Furrow tell us about your cleaning procedures. That much seed damage seems high.
                    You would still have to get into seed cart and ground would lower it more.

If no visible damage maybe there was a mix up with test results.

Comment

I cleaned seed for quite a few years. I used augers. No complaints whatsoever.

Comment

Belt conveyors in pulse cleaning plant. Possible damage in the intake leg but bin ladders helped too. 3 stories with no augers between machines is the pulse plant I like.

Comment

Seeded peas for 20 years, no conveyers, augers only, no problem. Just run them slow and full. Seed at 180 - 190 lbs/acre. It sounds like a roundup issue with this seed, or the bin heated over the winter? Lots of juicy grasshopper corpses?

Comment

another thing, do not try to clean 11% peas, you will end up with lots of splits. 14% and up is good moisture for quality.

Comment

Our seed peas are ok, just passing on info from what is happening else where.
                              After loosing 80% of our pea crop to root rot in 2014 we have not pre priced a bus - and likely wont

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.