• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lentils and peas

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lentils and peas

Talk about the year of the Pulse crop. It is bizarre how many folks are growing lentils. I spoke to someone today that has never grain farmed before. He is breaking up 640 acres of pasture and seeding to all lentils.

Have the merchants given any indication at what point we will be over produced and prices will plummet?

Comment

I have seen lentils on broken pasture before. Was a complete disaster for multiple reasons. Lots of acres but more than likely a lot of complete wrecks as well. Should be ample supply of lower end #3 and Feed lentils this fall

Comment

As things are turning out as of today - China and India won't car too much - Indias pulse crop is fubard .

Comment

wmoebis.....anything over and above contracted tonnage :-(

I know dick but I think poor quality product will get slaughtered. Today I talked to a guy who cleans seed on his farm.... second run of red lentils....he said there will be a sea of red. The company who does my seed testing said he tested ALLOT of lentils. I guess we'll know in about 120 days how this might play out.

Comment

Lots of new growers will have wrecks. Some great growers will do ok or great. God help all if fall weather turns a bit ugly. Last time we were on this same run up by time fall came my lentils were graded a 3. So out of my contract then they came up with a extra three for 12 cents and you take it because otherwise no one wanted them.
            It' will be known in 140 days.

Comment

We've seeded lentils in the past... gave up on the large greens that grew like alfalfa in the low spots and only had three pods on the top of the plant. Switched to small greens and had more luck. I just didn't want to chase falling stars or go for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow to find out it was empty. So I'll grow wheat, lol.

Even if India's crop is poor and we overproduce the highs of 15/16 may not be realized. As long as it's profitable does it matter?

How many large greens do you think got bought for 70-80 cents? Or were most of them gone at 50 cents?

What drives me nuts is knowing that these prices CAN be paid but never maintained.

Comment

The problem about sustaining the price is the fact that everyone chases markets and then floods it with product. What is the main reason for so many lentils? Do guys want price or see how low the cutterbar can go? Time will tell if it works out. Nobody understands that we cant overproduce, all we do is shoot ourselves in the foot.

Comment

A lot of lentils are being grown for crop ins.

Comment

They are being grown for crop insurance? What does crop insurance do with these lentils? Do they buy and resell?
                    Or...they are being grown because if the farmer buys the top coverage its worth the risk to plant them?
                    They are being grown for the crop insurance?

Comment

FFS hobby.....lyle stewart helped buy the rlection by putting the lentils at a high price.

It's a crop insurance play for sure.

Lots of guys will seed light and look for an excuse ....then there are the guys with good neighbors and bins.

Few years back two guys grew chickpeas and lentils. One guys bin got the chickpeas the other gor the lentils. ....they evened it out with paper custom work.

They are both "**** of the walk" today.

Comment

Crop Insurance should really limit the coverage to zones. If the coverage levels are high enough to guarantee a profit, some guys will plant anything.

Comment

Geeze, I wish I could farm AgStability...because I'm not in Crop Insurance.

Something is wrong with that picture.

Because I'm not in it I have to ask. Can they adjust the prices you're insuring against later in the game if prices collapse or is that part of the formula used to calculate the indemnity guaranteed?

Comment

Ask yourselves this.....

Who do you think benefitted the most by insuring lentils at a high price.

Then ask who do you think backs the likes of rural politicians?

Comment

All crop insurance premiums may take a significant jump next year

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.