• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

alma

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alma

today it said ALMA is gone !
    yes there was no need for dairy farmers ! because supply magnement is always cost plus ,no need for government money.
    our new ndp has to cut to get out off debt
    you will hear more about

Sensible cut backs I'd say. Reducing Government agencies, dissolving and amalgamating others.
    ALMA morphed from a program of good intention into just another bureaucratic quango. It's not the job of Government to create innovation on behalf of private businesses. Not sure what dairy or supply management has to do with this?

Comment

Agree with GF on this one.

Comment

yes grassfarmer, dairy operation
        supply management, are guaranteed profit
        cost plus !
        nobody can start dairy onles you have millions to buy quota ,
        milk is 1.50 or more /litr
        across the border great falls les than 1 dollar /litr, no quota system in u s a
        so no need for dairy protection

Comment

yes grassfarmer, dairy operation
          supply management, are guaranteed profit
          cost plus !
          nobody can start dairy onles you have millions to buy quota ,
          milk is 1.50 or more /litr
          across the border great falls les than 1 dollar /litr, no quota system in u s a
          so no need for dairy protection

Comment

No, they are not guaranteed a profit they are guaranteed a price based on a formula taking cost of production into account. Anybody can start in dairy but sure they need to buy quota. That's like saying no-one can buy a house because you need $xxx.
            I hear more consumers complain about the high price of beef in the store than dairy.
            Canadian supply management is the best dairy system in the world, just look at the shambles and bankruptcy affecting dairy in New Zealand and Europe just now.

Comment

While I generally disagreed with ALMA at it's conception, it had become a valuable and quite effective research funder. Admittedly it was a public agency, directing public dollars, but I think it had become one of the most effective funders with perhaps the best grasp of the industries it was funding research for in quite a while. I hope that this connection is not lost. Research (both basic and advanced) are areas that generally reap significant rewards as far as investing taxpayer dollars. I am not sure what the new structure will look like, but hopefully it is effective.

Comment

Supposedly a bovine and grazing research initiative coming into Lacombe....Federal/Provincial/ABP funded.

Comment

I think a lot of the rangeland work will continue to find itself moving into the U of A. They are supposed to be working with One Four. It is good to see that facility being used.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...